Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking to see if anyone is close enough to the Puyallup (Wa) area to come see my layout and provide some guidance on what to do with my plaster mountain.

If you seen my other post, this layout is from the 1980's. I have posted pictures, and I can add them to this thread as well. The mountain is 40 inches tall and roughly 48 x 48 inch.

The big question, after seeing my layout, do I keep the mountain and cut it free with intent to re apply. Do I leave it on and try to repair my track work with mountain in place? Or do I replace the mountain?

PM me if possible

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
I am seeking to see if anyone is close enough to the Puyallup (Wa) area to come see my layout and provide some guidance on what to do with my plaster mountain.

If you seen my other post, this layout is from the 1980's. I have posted pictures, and I can add them to this thread as well. The mountain is 40 inches tall and roughly 48 x 48 inch.

The big question, after seeing my layout, do I keep the mountain and cut it free with intent to re apply. Do I leave it on and try to repair my track work with mountain in place? Or do I replace the mountain?

PM me if possible
You should have added a picture or link, it would be easier then searching.
This is it, right?

00I0I_dsVAzt2AuY0_1200x900_3.jpg

What is your problem with the mountain?
Trains derailing in it?
I did not read your other thread.
Did you make that or was it a prefab and you bought it?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
A reciprocating saw with a 10" blade will take it out and it should be reusable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should have added a picture or link, it would be easier then searching...

What is your problem with the mountain?
Trains derailing in it?
I did not read your other thread.
Did you make that or was it a prefab and you bought it?
That is the mountain. It was custom built by the prior owner.

The layout is from 1980's and has some track issues which need to be resolved including replacement of switches (inside the mountain) and track which needs to be glued down (again inside the mountain).

I am also going to make some additions to the layout which will require some re work on the mountain scene. It may be a better idea to wipe out the mountain and start over with a custom 2 part foam version.

I am willing to pay an experienced person some consultant time over a weekend to come look at my layout and discuss what is in plan. I may even be interested in paying for some assistance/teachings to get me started if we can come up with a fair price I can afford.

For those in my area and interested in the area, please PM me for more details.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
I have never been to Wa, send me a round trip RR ticket. :p

Bad ideal to put switches inside a mountain.
Maybe try to save pieces of it and use them in whatever you build.

Need a larger picture and maybe more pictures to see it better.
Can't see where the switches are, top, bottom? Can't really see all of it.

And if you plan on making another mountain make it so you can pick it up to get to where the track is.
Or you can walk behind it leave the back open too to get to the inside.
Somehow you have to plan on access to the inside.
It can be done.

Post some more pictures of it,an aerial shot, the sides ,back etc.
So we can see it better.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never been to Wa, send me a round trip RR ticket. :p

Bad ideal to put switches inside a mountain.
Maybe try to save pieces of it and use them in whatever you build.

Need a larger picture and maybe more pictures to see it better.
Can't see where the switches are, top, bottom? Can't really see all of it.

And if you plan on making another mountain make it so you can pick it up to get to where the track is.
Or you can walk behind it leave the back open too to get to the inside.
Somehow you have to plan on access to the inside.
It can be done.

Post some more pictures of it,an aerial shot, the sides ,back etc.
So we can see it better.
You bring good questions and is why I want to discuss the whole thing to someone in person. There is one switch at the upper tunnel and 1 at the lower tunnel. I may consider making use of some loss space in the mountain and add a couple more for some single engine storage. I can use a Pan Tilt camera to manage whats in there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're on the right track (pun intended) with the two piece foam mountain idea. That would be a lot easier to remove in the future if needed.
I am too noob to make those calls and willing to pay someone for their time who has experience.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
Pan Tilt camera?
What is that?

Can you point out just about where are the 2 switches?
Or take a few normal everyday pictures?

Are the switches near the outside or completely inside the mountain somewhere?

If we knew where they are it would help, you might be able to cut a small piece out?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pan Tilt camera?
What is that?

Can you point out just about where are the 2 switches?
Or take a few normal everyday pictures?

Are the switches near the outside or completely inside the mountain somewhere?

If we knew where they are it would help, you might be able to cut a small piece out?
Not in a position to point them out till weekend. That being said, the turnouts are right inside the tunnel entrances. Yes, I could change out the turnouts with the mountain in place.

But as I said earlier, I have additional changes I want to make including adding 2 additional turnouts for some parking spots for F-Units. And I am seeking someone who is interested in my offer. The money spent in in the consultant will be worth the savings of making mistakes and paying for those plus the retry.

And I will start a build thread where I will post all my changes to this layout and the progress of those changes.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm nowhere near Washington, but there isn't an access hole underneath? Or, if there isn't you might be able to figure out where to put one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm nowhere near Washington, but there isn't an access hole underneath? Or, if there isn't you might be able to figure out where to put one.
Yes there is. Doesnt change the fact that I am asking for a consultant on this phase of the layout work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts