Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use ATF for lubrication instances?
Plastic safe? Yes?
FOR steam engine drivers/linkages and such.
Thanks in advance
Regards,tr1

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts
Can I use ATF for lubrication instances?
Plastic safe? Yes?
FOR steam engine drivers/linkages and such.
Thanks in advance
Regards,tr1
I asked John to start a new thread for you on this.

When you started you should have looked up top and clicked NEW THREAD then you would have started a new thread on this.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,868 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I'm not sure if this thread is about using ATF or about moving a post.
Anyway, as for ATF in the model, not sure why you would go to that extent unless ATF is the only thing you have and you're 400 miles from the closest hobby shop.
There are other lubricants designed for the models that would be more effect. One of the properties of ATF is heat management. I doubt your model reaches dangerous heat levels while operating.
Check out Labelle lubricants. They can be ordered on-line and are sold in just about every hobby shop that sells model trains.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I wouldn’t personally recommend using ATF on trains. Like Ken says, there are much better oils suited for the purpose of lubricating model trains.

I guess if it was a last resort, it could be used, but I wouldn’t.

Interesting topic though.

Tom

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The new ATF is not as useful and I would not recommend its use. Older style (cheap) ATF works great for keeping the tracks clean. It does contain plastic safe lubricants. Still for actual model train lub, something specific for model trains might be safer.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,634 Posts
I use it to revive postwar motors. It is handy for removing old grease. Keep it away from lettering and exterior designs. If you are spending more than 50 bucks on an engine consider a better oil. I like it because of the heavier weight. Grease can line old gears and I use it to clean up gears by just running them.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The Dexron* III Mercon type of ATF is a superior lubricant that has sheer resistant properties not available in typical hobby lubes. It's ability to withstand heat is immaterial and irrelevant.

Dexron III Mercon is safe for transmissions with plastic-cased sending units, and that is where it is used. It is also safe for hobby paints. I have inadvertently left smudges of ATF on some of my Pennsy tenders and was able to rub it off days later with no ill effect.

*I mistakenly added a T to my earlier post's spelling of Dexron.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have been using Remoil applied with a toothpick to valve and running gears but thought air tool oil would be a worthy and cheaper alternative. But I am searching for something better (heavier) for drive gears.

Remoil is said to evaporate over time and leave a "Teflon" finish on applied parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts