Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity so get an Athearn Genesis Challenger for what I think is a pretty good price. Even so it's way more than I've paid for any one loco to date.

If anyone has any experience with this model I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Specs say minimum radius 18", 22" recommended. I have 19" radii and a 2-6-6-2 Mallet does just fine, but it doesn't have a tender.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have never seen a negative review of an Athearn Challenger. I think that, in general, their Genesis line is a very safe bet.

You won't have any problems with it on your layout unless:

a. Your curves and track-laying make it derail. High and dipping rails, low outer rails on curves, humped turnouts at the frog....poorly aligned joints, kinks at curve joints...those kinds of things;

b. You couple the tender to the locomotive too closely. In your case, you'll certainly have to use the hole most distant from the drawbar's pin if there are two or more holes; and

c. There's a defect in the locomotive's assembly. If the axles are all seated properly in their journals, wheels gauged and aligned bow-to-stern (flanges all line up on each side when axles pressed tight into their journals), and the pivoting trucks and lateral motion designed into the drivers and various rods all work as designed, you should be good to go.

I hope you get a truly marvelous steamer and that it gives you a great deal of satisfaction and pleasure. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It'll be nice. Don't have one but athearn seems top notch. Ive also bought several items from trainworld without issue.

Btw they often have free shipping on holidays like father's day.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Missed it.

Was an ebay sale. Seller had it at a good price. I put it in my cart and this morning I had an offer to buy it at a really good price. While I was farting around someone bought it as listed.

I found another, NOS. But it's not a Clinchfield version. They only had a single stack.

WTH, I'm no rivet counter and I don't have a problem re-decaling a loco.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You can say "Oh well after all it probably fell on the floor, the dog nabbed it and buried it. Good miss..."

·
Registered
464 Posts
yea i got 3943 in trade somehow & wow i have a ton of big boys & of all brands & athearn challenger blows them all away with running on my crappy track lol i just set it & forget it . runs & runs & runs

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stump, what are you looking to spend on one? Does it have to be Athearn? You prefer Clinchfield?
As little as possible. :)

I have Bachmann & Proto 2000 locos and they're all good. Just looking for a different brand... and one that made a Challenger.

I managed to acquire a NOS Athearn Genesis for $200. I would have preferred Clinchfield, but it's Yew Pea.

·
Registered
258 Posts
As little as possible. :)

I have Bachmann & Proto 2000 locos and they're all good. Just looking for a different brand... and one that made a Challenger.

I managed to acquire a NOS Athearn Genesis for $200. I would have preferred Clinchfield, but it's Yew Pea.
Well I have a brand new Rivarossi Clinchfield Challenger that I have even had on the tracks that I do not plan to keep. I am more of a Diesel guy myself. If you any interest in it just send me a message.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It arrived... finally. Ran like a champ... until the "traction tires" came off. And they were not put-back-onable. If I'd known the dang thing had car tires I would have never bought it. Because the drivers with "traction tires" are smaller than the others, so w/o "traction tires" the other drive wheels derail at every turnout. Right now I'm about ready to see how well it survives a bounce off of my backdrop.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My mom used to say hissy fit. I wouldn't really do it. Just very frustrated.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tires installed and it's running again. PITA is a gross understatement.

While it was down I changed it from Yoop to Clinchfield. Not really happy with the decals on the tender and I didn't change the road number, but the only people that will know it's not right are reading this.

I put the 0-6-0 Porter in the pic for size comparison.

·
Registered
697 Posts
A lot goin' on in those pictures, Stumpy!! Really Great! And it do look better as Clinchfield...:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts