Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just saw on Facebook, a traction modeler use an a Athearn SW1500 chassis, for powering a 3D printed model of Charles City & Western No. 50 (an Interurban car I believe is at Boone, Iowa). How tight a curve can an SW1500 from Athearn take?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Anybody else have experience navigating an Athearn switcher through tight street/industrial trackage? Thanks for the info so far Flyboy.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Maybe that chassis would work on an interurban line, but
certainly could not navigate a typical city street curve. You
would need trucks capable of a nearly 90 degree rotation.

I had to modify the HO Bachmann PCC to enable it to
make the curves in my former streetcar layout.

Don

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. Thanks Don. R. What if I took the mechanics of it out, then, made a new chassis? Maybe out of layered styrene, or wood?

An important note too, he filed off the steps from chassis. Could that greatly impact the curves taken?

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are going to rebuild the frame, start with a Bachmann 44 or 70 tonner. The wheelbase of the trucks is closer to what a real trolley car would have. Some of the 44 tonners have a motor in each gear tower. Those would be best for use in a trolley. One limit of turning radius is how much the drive train can accomdate the trucks turning before the drive shafts and universals bind.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Trainguru

Your best bet is to get a chassis designed for streetcars.
Their trucks will have the capability to navigate city
street corners.

One is shown in this listing from Bowser, one of the best
known names in model streetcars.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?adpos={adposition}&ul_noapp=true&MT_ID=9geo_id%3D10232&cmpgn_id=43253920&crlp={creative}_2416792&keyword=Keyword&_nkw=bowser+streetcars&device=c&crdt=0&clk_rvr_id=942364870433&ad_grp=3783411491

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts