Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would Micro Engineering weathering solution be a good choice to blacken the copper

middle rail? Is there a better solution to use? The rail was nice and black til I decided to

use a bright boy on it :(

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Well, I just learned to live with it because eventually the black wore off anyway. You might try that, or there is a solution (might be the same for all I know) that i used to use when I made model wooden warships, that blackens turned brass cannon barrels into cast-iron gray. It work pretty well although with that I soaked the cannon barrels in the fluid overnight. don't know how well it would work brushed on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
there is a stuff marked in gun shops, sold by birchwood casey and others, that turns copper into black, but a bright boy will remove it as well ..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, I'm gonna stop with the bright boy. I did try Birchwood Casey Bluing Solution meant for steel, and that was

a big mistake, the black oxide formed alright, but was an insulator, non-conductive. I have some Neolube #2 I might try, it is conductive, and supposed to be a good

dry film lubricant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts