Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a Twin Cities MN store this week and spotted an Atlas Roundhouse Kit item #6904. I also saw they had the Turntable. I spotted these on ebay when I put in the part number and Trainz has them.

I never considered a Roundhouse nor a turntable I guess because of 1. complexity and 2. lack of space. With the new home, I have the space at roughly 20 x 14 feet.

As to what it might add in terms of cool factor or authenticity to my layout I am curious. Does anyone else have this on their layout or a club layout? How does it work?

I think it would be a good place to park locomotives. I assume you line the track up, and I use Fasttrack so I am wondering if the Atlas track gets removed or what. But how does track power get to the locomotive you have lined up with so you can run it out?

I am guessing the alternative to the Roundtable is to sync - i.e. line up - track to each spot in the Roundhouse. I don't know, I'm not seeing this in my head so I thought I would see if any of you have experience with this set up.

It's pricey at $600 for both.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I run DC, with blocks and toggle switches.
Each track in the roundhouse is it's own block.
The turntable is a reversing block(the wires go down underneath.
Each track leading up to the turntable is it's own block.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Believe it or not, the Atlas version is the cheap way to go. Other vendors sell turntable models only that go well into the 4-figure cost range to which you should then add a roundhouse. Of course, many will say you get what you pay for. Be aware that Atlas has just released an "improved" model of their turntable, so check their website before buying anything unless you are OK with buying the older model. Also, search the web for stories about the issues facing the older model (usually control related) and making various types of track work with their turntable.

You should also search out stories about laying out turntables and roundhouses. If the size you quoted above is just for your roundhouse area, you will be just fine. But, if that is your whole layout area, you will be surprised how much is eaten up by just this small turntable, roundhouse, and related servicing trackwork.

Chuck

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chuck. 20 x 14 is my whole area. I was considering only the new and improved turntable.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
My layout is @ 19' X 16' and I don't have room for a turntable and roundhouse.
Better look real hard at your track plan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts