Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for help again for anyone familiar with this layout . this layout has a reverse loop . I'm not going to do this now . question 1 . put insulating rail joiners in anyway . question 2 . if ok to set up this way , dcc wiring for the layout .
thanks again .
mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reason

the only reason was that just in case at later date I might want to do that .(reverse loops) but for now bypass doing
reverting loops .
mike

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I think I understand what you are asking. You want to build the plan as drawn but isolate the two reversing sections and a later date put them into service. Treat them as an isolated section or abandoned track. Is this correct? If so, by all means put insulators at both ends of both rails on both sections.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
I got dizzy just looking at this layout and got lost
a couple of times drawing it out with red and black
for the rails.

I agree with Bewells identification of the need for
two isolated sections. However, they are far too
short as he has shown. An isolated section must be longer than the longest lighted passenger train.

To meet those requirements,
I would place the insulated joiners as follows:

1. In both, the straight and divert rails of the turnout in
inner loop, lower left.
2. Beyond the middle turnout in the inner loop.

3. After both the divert and straight rails
in the turnout outer loop bottom left.

4. About midway of the inner loop right side.
(Important: Do not permit the two isolated
sections to abut in the inner loop)

So that's 6 points where insulated joiners would
be required.

Isolated section A includes the two legs of the
inner loop and part of that loop.

Isolated section B is similar to A in that it also
has 2 legs and a part of the inner loop

You would, of course require 2 reverse loop
controllers.

Don

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Don, I took it that the OP wanted to build this plan and get it running without the reverse loops. He was going to do them later, I think. Still not sure on what he wants. I followed your instructions as far as I could and came up with this. Is this what you mean?
atlas (1).jpg

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Yes, Dennis, you have it right in your latest
post. The two isolated sections cannot
abut. There must be, again, a section long enough to
accomodate the longest lighted passenger train between the
isolated sections. It takes power from the main bus.

Consider, a loco truck spans Iso A and Iso B joiners, there is
a short circuit.

Don

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
really appreciate the help ( from the gurus ) this site has . wish I could start over reading and doing all the things you need to know when I jumped into this hobby .thanks to all of you I am starting to get on the right track( no pun intended ) . thank you all again .
mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
adding width

after seeing how close they show switches at the edge , I'm working to clear some space to add width to my 4 x 10 . only going to be able to add about 6 inches but I believe it will help .
want to try to make inside loops 22 r . the other thing I noticed is in bill of material they say 5 left and 5 rights for turnouts and I think I counted right from layout , I need 6 lefts ( only have 5 ) , that sucks .
mike

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Adding width will help, you maybe able to do 18 on the inside loop. I think the plan called for 15. The grade for the up and over will still be stiff.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
layout

another thing is I didn't cut the apex , left it 4 ft across . ill try and use the basic layout and try to help myself wherever I can with the curves .
mike

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
another thing is I didn't cut the apex... What does that mean?
left it 4 ft across.. You mentioned adding 6 inches to the width.

Are you doing this with sectional track or flex?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
apex

sorry what I meant was that the base is shown to be at a taper cut to a point at both ends of the layout . I didn't make those cuts so right now my base is 4 ft x 10 ft . wish I were more computer adept and I could post a picture of the base as atlas shows it in their book . I'm going to use as much flex as I can .
mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
atlas layout

in the book both ends of the layout come to a point . they make a 10 ft length layout from an eight foot long pc of plywood . I used another pc of plywood 2 ft long to make the 10 ft . I didn't make the cuts so my base is rectangular . this gives me a little more fudge room at the corners . the layout has 2 turnouts that are shown sitting at the very edge . I want to add a little more width to eliminate that .
mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
layout

bwells, ill try to run picture of the base ( atlas ho king size layout book layout ho- #32 ) . your picture showing the reverse loop and the basic of the track layout is correct . ill try to scan the picture of table bade .
mike

1 - 20 of 42 Posts