Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Why?

looking for rights and lefts and switches to operate them .
mike
bristolman2012;

It's your choice, of course, but the Atlas snap switch is at the very bottom of the quality scale among brands of turnouts. The twin-coil switch machines attached to the side of those turnouts are very weak, poorly made, and prone to burning out their own coils, unless you operate them with a Capacitive Discharge Unit (CDU) Like the Stapleton 751D control with a CDU built in.

The "switches that control them" The Atlas, (blue button in a big black plastic case) are another very low quality item. They are notorious for shorting out their internal contacts, and causing the coil burnout just mentioned. Pushing the blue button down for more than 2 seconds can also fry a coil. Again, the Stapleton 751D control would be a much better choice, since it makes coil burnout impossible.

Perhaps you already have a bunch of these Atlas snap switch turnouts installed on your layout, and want to match them?

If not, or even if you have a few and are willing to replace them with better turnouts, I strongly recommend using Peco, or Micro Engineering, brand turnouts instead of the Atlas snap switches.

Atlas also make "Custom Line" numbered turnouts (#6 left or # 6 right for example) these are better quality than the snap switches, though not as good as either Peco, or Micro Engineering, turnouts are.

Again, it's your railroad, and therefore only you should make the choice. However, having used the snap switches, seen them fail, heard many others have the same problems, and quit using these low quality items, I recommend you consider using something else.

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
old layout switches

the atlas switches were what I could afford , but I am using the 751ds cdu to run them . old retired guy so have to pay attention to what I spend . not sure how old some of the switches I have , but they still work so ill use .
mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts