Model Train Forum banner

Atlas Genset

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  deedub35 
#1 ·
'2K' workhorse
'Green goat' muscle.

This will be used to assemble and break down trains at 2K sessions (along with some "refurbished" SW's).

It's very nicely detailed, and runs extremely well.
DCC ready, it'll be fitted with ESU & Loksound.
Transport Locomotive Train Vehicle Rolling stock

See less See more
#3 ·
BTW, this is the Genset II model, which is far better detailed than the original Atlas Genset I.
This loco weighs a full 1lb, and will pull over 30 sixty-foot high cubes. A monster 4-axle!

#11 ·
Prototype photo
Genset II.

There are discrepancies, most notably the fuel tanks, and the model has a bolder cab number.
But otherwise, the Atlas version is fairly accurate.
CSX ordered 16 units to begin with. They're utilized in almost every capacity, from yard switching to road service. I've seen them pulling strings of hoppers through the Carolinas.
Land vehicle Transport Vehicle Train Locomotive

#13 ·
This really is a superb model...
Although I'm fully aware that there might be examples out there that were made the first thing Monday morning, or the last thing on Friday, this one runs extremely well, and is a brute at pulling power.
They're also very affordable in 'DCC Ready' config... I got this one for $89 LHS price.

#14 ·
FWIW, this is model is boxed under the 'Trainman PLUS' label, which to me is an enigma.
I've thought for years that Trainman models were the ugly stepsisters of the Atlas line.
I suppose the sub-moniker 'plus' is their way of upgrading the bottom shelf.

The original Genset I model was pure Trainman, and very toy-like in detail... more or less a trainset model.

This model (NRE Genset II) has fine scale handrails, separate wire grabs, lift bars, crisp lettering, and well defined panels & screens.
It's about as good as an Atlas Classic or Silver issue, or more aptly -- Athearn RTR.
AccuMate couplers are the only inherited Trainman deficiency.
I haven't seen any versions other than 'DCC Ready', which is consistent with the Atlas Classic line.
It's a very affordable line of models. After purchasing this one for $89, I found another at a different LHS for $69.

#16 ·
I would love to see the Genset get some Master love but there might just not be enough detail to warrant that line. Funny enough though they do use the silver and gold names for DCC ready vs DCC and Sound so maybe they just didn't bother to move it to the category it belongs.

Unfortunately the Genset IIs don't have the road names I want, Modesto and Empire is close but I wish they had some BNSF or UP. It appears they are adding road names to these units that never actually bought them, but I may also not be seeing the full list.

#18 ·
I saw that, however it wasn't listed on their site or any of the normal sites I go to, but I did find it on a few sites I forget about like Spring Creek. Sadly they only have the Genset 1s in stock but it looks like they are using the Genset 2 photos.

The BNSF versions may have only been from the 2012 run and are likely long gone, they don't look like they got done in the 2017 run which is what is currently for sale in most places.

I did find this thing though. http://www.nicholassmithtrains.com/...-LOCOMOTIVES/AT&SF-GENSET-SWITCHER/LIO638547/

You do you Lionel, don't change.

#20 ·
The BNSF versions may have only been from the 2012 run and are likely long gone, they don't look like they got done in the 2017 run which is what is currently for sale in most places.
FWIW, there are BNSF units everywhere... including eBay.
But the ones I've seen are all Genset I versions, (tall exhaust stacks) and they're pure Trainman models with very poor detailing.
They run good though, if fitted with DCC.

#19 ·
Genset technology is astounding.
Green, economical, smart, versatile, and definitely trend-worthy.
Yes, there are bugs to work out.
But I predict it will go exponentially viral, and find its way into the mainstream locomotive industry in the very near future.

#22 ·
One of our members is trying to sell his for $45, and he's got no takers in 3 months.
It's pathetic, but plain Trainman stuff is even worse than some Bachmann rolling stock. Christmas trainset fodder.

#23 ·
The prototypes I've seen around here are in transfer duty, pulling modest strings of covered hoppers. Occasionally I'll see a tandem consist with 60-70 cars or so.
Mostly they're meticulously maintained, and very clean, but now and then I'll spot a filthy one, especially after stormy periods and during pollen season.
Carolina clay and pollen-dust wreaks havoc on everything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.