Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used Atlas GP9 locomotive from a reputable online shop. It was advertised as DCC equipped. When I set it on my track to try it out, it wouldn't run. Lights on, but would not run. Well, I wasn't pleased, but instead of calling the dealer and ripping into him,, I decided to sleep on it. Good thing. This morning it dawned on me (see what I did there, LOL), that being how it was a used loco, I would need to reprogram the loco (didn't think of this immediately as I am new to DCC and I have only run new locos one at a time on a layout that is still under construction). Change the address of the loco and voila good to go. The loco ran very well, but it was very noisy. After a search on this forum I took some suggestions, disassembled the loco and checked everything out, then put it back together. It now runs very much quieter. I was very pleased with myself. So, what is the problem? The truck assemblies are very loose and sloppy. One doesn't want to stay in. It falls out too easily. I need advice on where to find replacements. I scoured the Atlas site and found nothing. Googled my fingers raw today, and still, nothing. can someone suggest where I might look? Or, are there other brands that might work as replacements? Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And....there you go. This is why I value this forum so highly. It didn't occur to me that I could break the assembly down and find replacement parts for certain parts of that assembly. Also, I didn't realize that some parts are identical throughout the various GP series of locos. Cross-referencing parts on the GP9 parts and assembly diagram with GP40, etc. on the Atlas website was like turning on a light. This works. I will order a few gears cases, and gear sets as well. Heck they are cheap enough. I'll keep some on hand for any future need. Thanks for turning on the light, bewhole. You provided exactly the information I needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts