Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Out of stock on the website so no description. Anyone know the minimum radius? I know it's not 24":eek:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I don't know, but I would assume it would be good down to 18" coupled to the right items on either side. This sounds like a long tank car, maybe 60'?

If truck mounted couplers (unlikely), it would definitely be good down to 18". If mounted to the end-frame, and coupled to another similar object, perhaps 20", more if there's an S curve involved.

I hope someone who knows for certain replies to you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's only 9 1/2" long, shorter than my passenger cars(10") but won't negotiate 24" curves. Near back of each truck is a screwed on piece attached to the bottom of the tank which the trucks hit on a tight curve. Not sure if I can just remove this piece. It looks like it is attached to the coupler box.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Can you post a picture of the interfering piece?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
If the side-frame of the truck contacts the draft-gear box, the one in which the coupler swivels and is maintained, you will have two options, maybe best to do a bit of both: use a sharp hobby knife or a Dremel wheel to grind away a small bit of the side-frame, or grind a groove in the body of the draft-gear box. If it makes contact with part of the frame or an air tank or something, the same thing...pare it back a bit. Even 1/32" will make a huge difference.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you post a picture of the interfering piece?
Here's 2 pics. It appears that the truck screws into the coupler box piece that connects to the bottom of the tank, almost like 1 whole piece. The back of the truck hits the piece on the tank( by the black screw) 001.JPG

002.JPG

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Usually it's the back of the wheels hitting the coupler box that constrains the truck. Which would seem to be the case here as the coupler box appears to be wider than the piece holding the tank. Yet as you said, the constraint is this narrower looking piece, must be more to this than I can see in the picture. Also out of curiosity did you check the coupler height? Is the constraint the same both ways? I took a quick look at an old flat car and the truck wheels contact the coupler box and the narrower ribbing opposite the coupler at virtually the same time. Makes me wonder if something else causing the problem and it just looks like its caused by the plastic held on by the black screw. Keep looking and asking!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
If we accept that your observation is correct (because the azimuthal movement of the truck stops only when the flanges on the rear axle contacts that frame reinforcement member, and not when the leading axle's flanges make contact with the coupler box), then you have met a practical, and typical, limit to the physics of model trains with this particular item. You have two choices:

a. mangle the frame member a bit with a Dremel sanding cone; or

b. figure out how to generate wider radii.

You actually have a third choice, that being to refrain from using that car until your circumstances change, but that's pretty unsatisfactory.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, all. I can't use it the way it is and I don't want to "mangle" it. Space limits me to 24" curves so to Ebay it goes.:smilie_daumenneg:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Did you mention the manufacture, so we all know that this car has problems with 24" radius curves? I think EBAY is the answer if you can't return it, who knows what mods it would take and you might never be successful - 24" radius should be easy and obviously with this car its not!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's an Atlas #1729-6. I emailed Atlas for help and again, no response. Their CS dept doesn't seem to want to respond to inquiries. This wasn't my 1st time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts