Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for the email. Not to worry, though. They will have catalogs at their usual booth location.

:rolleyes:

P

·
0 Posts
Oh boy, they will have catalogs at the York Meet. Nothing like meet and greet with the catalog doing all of the work.

I think think this is more about Atlas than the York Meet. No loss for me, don't buy their products anyway. If they want to save the bucks, forget the catalogs at this Meet.

W

·
0 Posts
I had thought that Atlas had put some of their issues behind them. Are they still suffering from manufacture and delivery problems? I hope not because I like their products, especially the Trinity Hoppers.

Gary.

T

·
0 Posts
I like Atlas products and have quite a few, but i won't miss their booth or their catalog.Neither has ever been all that compelling. They make a very nice product but I don't think marketing is their strong suit. That's OK.

Their California Zephyr passenger cars are the quietest, smoothest, frictionless rolling cars I have in my collection. Noticeably better gliding than even Golden Gate Depot (And that's saying a lot). The lack of a booth or a nice looking catalog won't stop me from buying future Atlas products.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Doesn’t matter that much to me. I liked to see their offerings, but I don’t spend a whole lot of time in manufacturers booths anyway. I go where the sales are at York. I have a lot of Atlas O products, but if I like something I buy it, no matter who the manufacturer is. I have some more than others.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I like Atlas products and have quite a few, but i won't miss their booth or their catalog.Neither has ever been all that compelling. They make a very nice product but I don't think marketing is their strong suit. That's OK.

Their California Zephyr passenger cars are the quietest, smoothest, frictionless rolling cars I have in my collection. Noticeably better gliding than even Golden Gate Depot (And that's saying a lot). The lack of a booth or a nice looking catalog won't stop me from buying future Atlas products.
Gotta agree with everything Emile stated. Atlas-O's "glory days" at York with their dog-bone display layout and behind-the-booth seminars are long gone. For years now, their York booth as been a mere shadow of its former self.

As for the CZ cars.... absolutely agree. If I could push a CZ car and GGD car with equal force on parallel tracks, the GGD car would stop several FEET before the CZ car would stop... EASILY. The GGD cars have much too much drag for my taste -- which is why those GGD passenger trains often need 3 or 4 powered units to pull the super long set-ups. (Sunset doesn't make non-powered diesel units as far as I know.)

David

C

·
0 Posts
I don't have any Atlas O Gauge nor do I plan to buy any so Atlas' absence doesn't concern me.

Will Lionel be there?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
On a side note I have a question. I've been to Oct York, I've been to April York. I've notice a difference in the amount of attendance. Is there a big difference between the two? With Lionel and Atlas now out of the spring meet is it more than a cost cutting scheme or is it really not worth it?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Anymore its hard to tell Gary. Each show gets smaller and smaller. The bandits are fast disappearing and you see more and more empty tables at each show.
I like Atlas rolling stock but only at second hand prices so I rarely spend any time at their booth.

Pete

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I guess we're now experiencing a trend that had its inception a good 10-15 years ago... namely York moving back to its roots as more of a "train meet" as opposed to an "industry trade show". I actually liked the element of the latter, which -- aside from the social aspect of York -- is why I enjoyed attending during much of the 2000's. I never really attended to wander the member halls and bring home carloads of trains. For many years, I enjoyed visiting Lionel, MTH and Atlas-O booths to see the new products coming down the pike... and to also enjoy MTH's and Atlas-O's display layouts. Sure... everybody likes a good deal, and I won't say more than a few trains came back home with me on the return-trip. :eek: But I did enjoy looking at the new stuff soon to be delivered.

Then came some rumblings that the importers didn't feel York was "cost effective" for them anymore, and they wouldn't be spending $$$$ to bring their wonderfully built train layouts anymore. Lionel was the first to abandon a scenic'd display layout as I recall -- opting to run a few loops of track on sheets draped over a table. :( Never understood that move by the company claiming to be the industry "leader" per se. :confused: But that's the card the bean-counters chose to play. Then Atlas-O began downsizing it's displays considerably. And finally, MTH reduced it's display layout size too. But of the three, MTH still seems to have the most well-rounded "booth" with buzz at York.

I don't know what will eventually become of the April York, but I do believe more changes are in the midst. Different vendors are already "re-thinking" either attending the April show... or York in general. After all, we can buy trains NON-STOP throughout the year now, and increasing numbers of enthusiasts now have more trains than they'll ever "need". So I can see the reasons folks attend York continuing to change.

Not necessarily a good thing or bad thing... just changing (again).

David

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Then came some rumblings that the importers didn't feel York was "cost effective" for them anymore, and they wouldn't be spending $$$$ to bring their wonderfully built train layouts anymore. Lionel was the first to abandon a scenic'd display layout as I recall -- opting to run a few loops of track on sheets draped over a table. :( Never understood that move by the company claiming to be the industry "leader" per se. :confused: But that's the card the bean-counters chose to play. Then Atlas-O began downsizing it's displays considerably. And finally, MTH reduced it's display layout size too. But of the three, MTH still seems to have the most well-rounded "booth" with buzz at York.

Not necessarily a good thing or bad thing... just changing (again).

David
Its my understanding Lionel's big layout was actually brought to the show and setup by TW Trainworks who was charging them 5 figures to do this. Add to that food and lodging for their staff and the healthy price ED charged for the space and its not hard to understand Lionel cutting back.

Pete

P

·
0 Posts
There are many reasons that folks attend the York Meet. The social aspects are one of the more important reasons that has little bearing on the vendors in attendance. I agree with David that it is always nice to see the latest and greatest being offered by our train suppliers, but for me, it is not the highest item on my York Meet agenda. I primarily go to this meet to see what is being offered by the cottage industry guys. Many only show their wears at this Meet. The products that the cottage industry guys offer can make a huge difference with any layout. Sometimes, they get lost in the shuffle in terms of their importance, but if you are looking for something special to enhance your layouts, the York Meet is the best place to go.

So long as we have a York Meet, it is undoubtedly the best place to go for O-Gauge folks.

T

·
0 Posts
April York isn't going to be cancelled any time soon. It may have been cancelled (their choice) for Lionel and Atlas and as long as the cancellation of their participation doesn't affect sales, both companies will save money. But they don't run York. The Eastern Division TCA does and they're making money. The two annual Meets are huge money makers for EDTCA and there's no incentive for them to close one. The attendance for each is in the 10,000 range but even if the Spring attendance dropped to 5,000, it would still be a moneymaker for the EDTCA. York as a twice-a-year event is here to stay!

Emile

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I don't have any Atlas O Gauge nor do I plan to buy any so Atlas' absence doesn't concern me.

Will Lionel be there?
Lionel wasn't there last April or is it this April??

On a side note I have a question. I've been to Oct York, I've been to April York. I've notice a difference in the amount of attendance. Is there a big difference between the two? With Lionel and Atlas now out of the spring meet is it more than a cost cutting scheme or is it really not worth it?
I've only been to April once. I usually go in October. I didn't see any difference. The October show we sell a lot of videos and books on Friday. Thursday and Saturday is pretty thin. Even opening to the pubic on Friday and Saturday hasn't increased attendance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve been to the April York show it was not as busy as the Fall show just my unofficial opinion. And yes the glory days of the huge 38’ Long dog bone layout of Atlas are seem to be history. Atlas seems to be interested in multi scale shows such as Amherst, MA where they run multiple layouts and have large displays.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts