Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with the Atlas O-gauge Turntable.

The belt very quickly slips off the pulley when running in one direction. :(

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, can they please advise me what they did to correct it.

Thanks,
Norm Schreck

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
I'm having a problem with the Atlas O-gauge Turntable.

The belt very quickly slips off the pulley when running in one direction. :(

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, can they please advise me what they did to correct it.

Thanks,
Norm Schreck
You can't run them full blast you know? Just enough power to make it turn.
Is the table hanging up when it goes off the pulley? Check real close.
How old is it and how much have you used it?

Did you ever touch the center screw that holds the table on together? Tighten it? loosen it?

What kind of track do you have hooked into it? Fast track? Tube track?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
I went back and reread your thread on your layout and it answered my question on the type of track.:D

Post some pictures of it, some closeups of your track where it sets on the table would be nice too.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
I see this picture here from one of your posts. Make sure that no rail is touching the table as it turns this will throw the rubber band.

Unless you are running it with full power it should just slip on the pulley if the track is binding up the table when turning.

How fast are you running the motor?

Did you screw down the track onto the table also?

DSCN0082 (Large).jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Ed, thanks for reply. I'll answer each question.

You can't run them full blast you know? Just enough power to make it turn.

Yes, you are correct about motor speed. On the direction where the belt "jumps" the sheave, It jumps at about 6-8 VDC. It turns okay in the other direction at 10 VDC, which I think it is a max voltage.

Is the table hanging up when it goes off the pulley? Check real close.
How old is it and how much have you used it?

Actually, I just (finally) got the new addition wired and tried to use the motor instead of the hand crank, so I'm still on "epuipment Startup". And the table doesn't appear to hang-up. The belt jumps almost immediately when I switch direction.

Did you ever touch the center screw that holds the table on together? Tighten it? loosen it?

Yes, I did tighten it(it was a little "loose") but the table still feels free.

What kind of track do you have hooked into it? Fast track? Tube track?
Tubular, as you did note. I'll have to get some pics together for you.

Right now, I'm trying an O-ring, instead of the (factory) belt, but it is about 0.050" in thickness. I'd like to try about 0.032" or so and make it a little tighter.

But, while it's hard to be perfectly sure, It looks like the sheave that is mounted on the shaft that drives the (table) gear doesn't line up with the idler sheave that is right above it (and before it in that direction) but then sometimes it looks like it DOES line up. I guess I could set it "deeper" on the shaft, but want to check with Atlas first.

Right now I'm feeling the problem just might be the sheave mis-alignment, but I'm trying to get in touch with Atlas but I still haven't found any email address for them. Of course, I could just drive to their place as they aren't all that far away but I hate to drive in their area on nasty I-78.

Norm

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
I don't know if these will help you any,

p6120008.jpg

P6120009.jpg

P6120010.jpg

I found it better to drill a small hole and screw the track to the turntable too, mine seemed to move a little, so it secures it nice.
Dam That last picture shows me that my track is bent a little. Got to replace that piece.:(

P6120011.jpg

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ed, I'm having more problems with the Atlas 0-ga Turntable.

The table usually turns okay in the ClockWise (CW) direction, but hangs up just before matting at each new track when turning in the Counter-Clockwise (CCW) direction.

By hanging up, the brass (screw-shaped) gear STOPS turning for a few seconds, then starts up again to bring the table-track in line with the spur-outlet track. All the while the motor IS turning.

Have you encountered this situation??

The table revolves easily without any problem when motor assembly is removed. and nothing is interfering with the table as it turns.
The CENTER screw has been loosened but that doesn't make any difference.
The table sometimes does turn CCW "if" I loosen the (2) mounting screws somewhat.

Any ideas???

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
Ed, I'm having more problems with the Atlas 0-ga Turntable.

The table usually turns okay in the ClockWise (CW) direction, but hangs up just before matting at each new track when turning in the Counter-Clockwise (CCW) direction.

By hanging up, the brass (screw-shaped) gear STOPS turning for a few seconds, then starts up again to bring the table-track in line with the spur-outlet track. All the while the motor IS turning.

Have you encountered this situation??

The table revolves easily without any problem when motor assembly is removed. and nothing is interfering with the table as it turns.
The CENTER screw has been loosened but that doesn't make any difference.
The table sometimes does turn CCW "if" I loosen the (2) mounting screws somewhat.

Any ideas???
Did you ever have it apart?

Mine does the same thing. Turns great clockwise but hangs up counter clockwise.
I had to take mine apart as a connector pin accidentally got in under there.
If you never had the table apart you take the center screw off and lift it up and out easily. If you do you will see 2 ball bearings drop out. The ball bearings ride on copper strips.
The only way to get it back together is to insert the the ball bearings back in their place. Sounds easy but the only way to do it is to turn the whole thing upside down to do it or else the ball bearings will keep falling out.

I thought that maybe somehow I put mine back together with the table set in the wrong spot but now I think it is in the product itself.

Mine doesn't do it all the time either.
Since I have all the track screwed to it and ballast around it I have been putting off tearing it up.

You did nothing about the band slipping off right? The only reason it was slipping off was because it was hanging up?
Like I said you can't power it up real high either use just enough power to make it turn.

Maybe we should contact Atlas huh?
I wonder if anyone else has the same problem?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ed, interesting to know you have the same concern. :eek:

And, yes I have taken the top off. :D

I will post a pic of an easy way to get the top properly back in place without removing the base, but a pict would save a lot of typing and be almost self explanatory. Unfortunately, Ya gotta wait until I have the top off again ..... which shouldn't be too far into the future!

Another problem I'm having is with my 2032 ERIE diesel. I can't get a clean run across the table. The diesel keeps loosing power, horn sounds, stops, runs, stops..... etc. but needs a push when it stops .

To make this somewhat short, I noticed some scrape marks on the (outside the rails) plastic walkways and determined that this opening was about 1.582" while the ERIE wheels measured from 1.640" to 1.696" wide. And the rail measured about -0.036" BELOW the plastic walkway, thus lifting the wheels off the rail. To make matters worse, one rail didn't have any continuity but I fixed that problem.

And, Atlas is working on the ERIE problem.

As far the belt jumping off, somehow I was able to solve that problem, I think by making sure the belt has a "corner" of it's square cross-section IN the sheve instead of having both "corners" laying on the sides of the sheve.

I am able to run the table @ about 10 Volts with no (belt) jumping, but the screw-gear stops (with motor running) about 3/16" BEFORE the rails line up..... then after a few seconds the gear starts turning again to line the rails properly.

It does this for quite a few openings. I have loosened the (2) mounting screws and this might help some, but since the mounting is NOT adjustable, the motor base returns to it's original position.

Very frustrating as it is a nice accessory and I would like it to operate as it was designed.

I'm wondering if others are having similar problems. Have you heard of others???

Norm

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
Ed, interesting to know you have the same concern. :eek:

And, yes I have taken the top off. :D

I will post a pic of an easy way to get the top properly back in place without removing the base, but a pict would save a lot of typing and be almost self explanatory. Unfortunately, Ya gotta wait until I have the top off again ..... which shouldn't be too far into the future!

Another problem I'm having is with my 2032 ERIE diesel. I can't get a clean run across the table. The diesel keeps loosing power, horn sounds, stops, runs, stops..... etc. but needs a push when it stops .

To make this somewhat short, I noticed some scrape marks on the (outside the rails) plastic walkways and determined that this opening was about 1.582" while the ERIE wheels measured from 1.640" to 1.696" wide. And the rail measured about -0.036" BELOW the plastic walkway, thus lifting the wheels off the rail. To make matters worse, one rail didn't have any continuity but I fixed that problem.

And, Atlas is working on the ERIE problem.

As far the belt jumping off, somehow I was able to solve that problem, I think by making sure the belt has a "corner" of it's square cross-section IN the sheve instead of having both "corners" laying on the sides of the sheve.

I am able to run the table @ about 10 Volts with no (belt) jumping, but the screw-gear stops (with motor running) about 3/16" BEFORE the rails line up..... then after a few seconds the gear starts turning again to line the rails properly.

It does this for quite a few openings. I have loosened the (2) mounting screws and this might help some, but since the mounting is NOT adjustable, the motor base returns to it's original position.

Very frustrating as it is a nice accessory and I would like it to operate as it was designed.

I'm wondering if others are having similar problems. Have you heard of others???

Norm
Nope I thought it was just mine.

If you had the top off then I would think you put it back together a hair off?
The table does stop a each stall for a few seconds but yours stop before the stall. Does it also stop at the stall? I think you said yes to this question?
And yours works correct running clockwise?

Mine actually hangs up in between stalls a different problems from yours though it only hangs up counter clockwise. Works perfect clockwise.

The engine stalling on the table rail, I have that problem too, some work fine and others stop the same way you are describing. I just don't run the ones that stop on it. Most of the Steam Locos run on it fine.

Please do post a good picture of how to put the blasted thing back on.
The only way I can do it is to hold the whole thing upside down so the ball bearings stay in place.
You need three hands to do it and a assortment of cuss words.:D

I wonder as the ball bearings run on the electric strips if there is some sort of timing mark to let you know it is set down right.
It has been a while since I had the top off, I might have something that got under the top again, maybe.

I will be eagerly waiting for a picture.:D

I have searched for this table with pictures of it apart but have found none. I wish Atlas had a manual of the inside operation.
I searched a few years back for pictures, maybe I will go search again.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
One of them on O gauge says to take masking tape around 14" long and fold it over just leaving an inch of the sticky part to hold the pin (ball bearing I thought it was, it has been a while since I had mine apart.)
Then carefully place the table in place and pull out the tape.
There are some springs in there too applying pressure to the pins/ball bearings?
That sounds easier said then done.:D

Another says, "Use low voltage at 4.5 - 5 volts."

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ed, the turntable is ALL machanical, no nefarious electronic stuff.

All the stop-start action is determined by the large plastic gear under the housing that holds the motor assembly.

If you remove the cover you will see (AGAIN) the large plastic gear. On that gear is a half-moon arc that actually holds the table in place.

Anyway, then you will also see a stubby pin, about 1/4" in Dia. That is what turns the table and it lines up the ARCS (that are under the table) with the openings for the sidings.

The buttons you encountered are not ball bearings, only spring-loaded slugs with a rounded end that ride on a circular metal ring that receives electricity from the (2) connectors on the base and transmits it up to the rails on the turntable.

And, it is almost impossible to NOT install the turntable properly if you use a little common sense, which you already have and did use. :)

I am thinking the resistance that stops the screw-gear somehow is caused by the pin that moves the turntable AND the ARC it is turning inside. I have noticed that "IF" I loosen the (2) screws that hold the cover for the gear/motor housing are loosened the screw-gear doesn't jam as much.

I have also tried loosening the center screw, but that action didn't have any real noticeable effect.

Right now, Atlas is working on my (our) problem as far as I know.

I'll follow up with them to see what's happening.

Norm

·
Yard Master & Research
10,840 Posts
One thing with reversing motors is the torque. One direction the motor runs low the other it runs high. so check the difference . WHat direction is the shaft leaning when the belt slips in or out? You didn't say. How about some thin large washers on each side of the shaft???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
T-Man, I've eliminated the belt-slipping problem.

I think what solved it was having the belt (square cross section) sit on the sheaves with the (one) corner (or "point") of the square perpendicular to the shaft. i.e. the (opposite) corners[/(or "points") point up and down. Does that make sense???

But, as you might have read, I now have other problems..... Atlas is helping me with them.

Norm

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T-Man, no the motor runs continuously.

The motor is still turning the drive gear, but the table stops for a few seconds at each opening and there are 23 of them.

When the table stops at each opening it is "aligned" with the opening and wouldn't need any further action to be aligned with the track you would place in the opening.

Of course, you would have to "align" your track when you lay it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One of them on O gauge says to take masking tape around 14" long and fold it over just leaving an inch of the sticky part to hold the pin (ball bearing I thought it was, it has been a while since I had mine apart.)
Then carefully place the table in place and pull out the tape.
There are some springs in there too applying pressure to the pins/ball bearings?
That sounds easier said then done.:D

Ed, this is very close to what I do, but I took a length of brass sheet metal about 1" +/- wide by about 11" or so inches long and taped it over the spring-loaded contactors. I used something like Magic Mending tape that has low adhesion.

I made sure the tape went up the sides of the cavity the contactor was in and as stated, very carefully placed the table over the base and inserted the center screw and turned it a very few turns.

Then I pulled the brass strips out. The tape came along with the brass and I checked the continuity of the rails to the both connections on the base.

I had continuity, so I knew I was okay.

Essentially the same idea, but I gotta try the tape, instead of the brass, too! :)

Norm

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
Norm (and Mike if your here) I was fooling with the turntable a bit today and saw something.

If you take the motor off the gears it works fine clockwise.
But if you run it counter clockwise it hangs up.
That is when it is off the gears all together and there nothing is in the way to make it bind up.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with the table itself, I think the motor by itself is at fault.
The table works fine with no motor attached. (with the hand crank.)

You can hear the difference in the sound of the motor too, when operating in the clockwise position compared to counter clock wise. It seems to strain in the counter clockwise position. This is when it is OFF the gears, just running the motor by itself.

I wonder if there is an aftermarket motor that would work?

Did you notice this Norm?
Did you operate the motor off the gears?
I never had the belt problem that you explained.

Maybe bring this up to the Atlas Tech if yours also binds up when off the gears.
Try it off and let me know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ed, I removed the motor and used the hand crank. I got the same interference CCW, no problems CW.

The gear has the pin that advances the table, so removing the gear will remove the advancing pin.

I didn't notice any trouble just running the motor free of the (gear) mounting.

I feel the problem is the pin in the groove it travels in but I don't notice any difference in the grooves for the openings where it stalls.

I haven't done anything since then, other than use the scraper to remove the walkway interference at the rails that is on the other posting.

Norm

1 - 20 of 59 Posts