Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a pair of these Olympia Beer tankers from Pats Train. Whimsical but cool, terrific detail, and the paint matches the Oly beer cans from many years ago. Living in the Puget Sound area during my high school years we had two local breweries, the Rainier Beer brewery in Seattle and the Olympia Beer brewery in Olympia, about 50 miles South of Seattle. All the weekend beer blasts had kegs of either Rainier or Oly.

Bill

Jet engine Gas Cylinder Aircraft engine Engineering

Engineering Gas Vehicle Toy Auto part

Office equipment Engineering Font Auto part Water

Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Track

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is Olympia still in business? Was it a good beer?
In the mid 70's Olympia Beer ran into financial issues and over the next 20 years or so the brewery and brand was purchased / traded by quite a few national breweries. Last registered owner was Pabst Beer. Not sure who is the current owner of the brand, don't believe the beer is still brewed.

Bill

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I was about 12 in 1976 when it was a news story that Olympia Beer was coming to eastern Iowa. I remember it well, although I am not sure why they made a big fuss. Agree - cool looking cans. I did collect beer cans back then and had "metal" not aluminum - Olympia cans.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I live in eastern Washington and drank a lot of Rainier beer. I remember the cool commercials, still can watch them on YouTube
Hi Xrperry, what part of Eastern Washington. Crossed the Cascade many, many times hunting and fishing in Eastern Washington. Pheasant hunting on a friends sugar beet farm down by tri-cities, duck hunting on crab creek, and walleye fishing on the upper Columbia.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
Beautiful cars. I really like the details.

I had N scale when I was a kid. Atlas made the same design tank cars in N scale, but for various private shippers.
One of my favorite cars was a Dow Chemical tanker. I bought one when I was 14 and I still have it…40+ years later.

I would love to see some private shipper versions of this car…

Train Vehicle Wheel Toy Rolling stock

Tom

Reactions: laz57

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Xrperry, what part of Eastern Washington. Crossed the Cascade many, many times hunting and fishing in Eastern Washington. Pheasant hunting on a friends sugar beet farm down by tri-cities, duck hunting on crab creek, and walleye fishing on the upper Columbia.

Bill
I’m in Spokane Valley bill. I lived on whidbey island for a few years, I go back there for a few days a year. Worked at deception pass state park. Beautiful place

·
Registered
697 Posts
Now those are pretty cool Bill(y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts