Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on Mr Muffin's Trains website because I am waiting for my work iPad to sync. I am browsing. I went to Atlas and noted a robust - meaning a lot - content and some are Pre-Order so Atlas seems to be viable. I and we typically talk Lionel, MTH and occasionally Williams. I never see a catalog for Atlas at the Local Hobby Store.

I am always happy with Atlas rolling stock and the occasional locomotive I have from them, some locomotives I have not run yet. I can tell by the prices at the LHS and on ebay that "Trainman" is their junior line. Is it scale? Is it scale with less detail? Is it comparable to MTH Rail King and Lionel Lion Scale (or whatever they refer to it as)

I have no problem running my Trainman rolling stock. I mix them in with everything else BUT I saw a U.P. Trainman locomotive on Mr. Muffin's for $199.96, essentially $200. Now it is conventional, which I don't care about because I run conventional. I assume it has smoke, sounds. $200 for a Dash 8 brand new in one of my liveries is pretty good.

Anybody have experience with Trainman locomotives performance and detail? I can't tell. Detail not a big deal, I have a couple of Williams. I would like scale size as I try to avoid straight up Rail King unless there is no other choice.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I have no Trainman locos but the ones that I have seen in operation on layouts seem to be in the Railking type category as far as detail and sizing. It seems that Atlas has put the Trainman brand on hold.

Bill

·
Registered
465 Posts
Check out some Eric's Trains videos on YouTube. I know that the Trainman models cut down on detail for the sake of affordability but AFAIK the diesels are still scale. Here's a review of a Trainman Dash-8 for instance. He remarks that there are no crew figures but it's a fine looking model. I have a few pieces of Trainman rolling stock and sometimes it's tough to tell the difference. However, from the chatter I've seen from Atlas afficionados, I wouldn't put too much faith in preorders. It seems like all I hear is there stuff takes years to deliver (if ever). Seems like their entire O line is on death's doorstep. I will always consider Atlas stuff when it's in stock but never preorder.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I had an Atlas Trainman diesel. It ran and pulled well. The only sound was a one honk horn that could not be changed or varied. No smoke. No cab figures. It needed at least 42" diameter curves. Larger would have been better.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes if being only Conventional saves me some money I'm all for it. I have probably 7 conventionals from older Lionel to Wiliams and an Atlas or 2. For me I still get the experience out of the layout and most of what you guys get.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Bryan, if I was interested in running conventional, then I think Atlas would be my #1 choice. They're a relative bargain.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I had no problems with Atlas. Just remember even the Trainman line needs O42 and preferably larger curves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've only owned one Atlas Trainman locomotive and it was a slight step above any of the Railking Scale locomotives I've owned. As far as rolling stock I prefer Atlas Trainman and Master Line over both Lionel and MTH. I appreciate they only offer prototypical paint schemes for the freight car models they offer and all are scale.

·
Admin
44,347 Posts
I have a few Atlas locomotives, detailing is above average, but operationally and for maintenance, I'm not impressed. As far as Atlas rolling stock, my major complaint is they're even more fragile than most Lionel and MTH high end stuff, so it's easy to break all the little detail, even with careful handling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts