Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this goes here or at sales. I don't have anything to sell and my wife won't let me sell any of my trains...I know about e-bay, amazon and Etsy. I've run into a site here and there but I would like to know if anyone knows any other auction or sales sites for model trains of all scales. Help please?

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
Well, you can look here and elsewhere for notices and postings about forthcoming on-line auctions, and check Amazon, ebay, Trainz, and etsy websites, etc. Also it is useful to just google with various combinations of "model train auction" and such. It takes some time and effort to wade through the returns to find the true gems among them, but that is just the way it is . . ,

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
I have bought and sold trains using the Craig's list free service...there are train
ads in the 'TOYS AND GAMES' and also in their 'COLLECTIBLES'.

Don

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have bought and sold trains using the Craig's list free service...there are train
ads in the 'TOYS AND GAMES' and also in their 'COLLECTIBLES'.

Don
Craigslist, yep . . . I just sold 50 pieces of lower-end engines & rolling stock that I really didn't want anymore. Be careful though and know what an item's worth because 'vintage' and 'rare' to the non-train folks, often times isn't really worth what they think it's worth.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have purchased trains and related items from auction houses like AmbroseBauer Trains , Morphy Auctions, Toys Trains and Other Old Stuff and Stout Auctions. It's a lot of fun. Sometimes you get a good deal and sometimes not so much, so buyer beware.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
...because 'vintage' and 'rare' to the non-train folks, often times isn't really worth what they think it's worth.
Heh I've seen that as well on ebay, with people calling a particular old car "rare" even though it was the second-most-common paint scheme produced in that line. And they obviously didn't do their own research because there were half a dozen other listings of the same model for half the price. The other thing to watch out for is the people who weather or repaint old models and try to sell them for a higher price. Sorry, no, any collector value that the model had was completely lost the moment you changed it... now you have a $5 item.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Although what something is “worth” is entirely up to how much someone is willing to pay for it.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts