Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Using all DC

I want to automate a triolley in the following way

As Train passes a point, The trolley is activated (via reed switch?) , causing the trolley to move in one direction on a short line, and a 1 or 2 minute timer is activaed.

When the trolley reaches the end of the trolley line, it shoud trigger a different reed switch that ultimately reverses the voltage causing the trolley to return. Again the other end of line will have a reed switch to reverse the voltage again. 2 reed switches on trolley line , one on main train line

At the end of the timer count, 1 or 2 minutes, the tolley's voltage is cut. This could also be a 4th reed switch which indicates train has passed and trolley can rest.

Now the trolley waits for the next cycle.

Has anyone done anything like this and are there easy ways to get it done?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you are familiar with arduino computers, this would be very easy. Besides the reed switches, you would need a relay board with two relays (one for on/off, the other for direction), plus a little bit of programming. Total cost would be under $10US and the parts can be ordered from ebay.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems liike a lot to throw at this project and over-complicating it, but thanks for the input

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I came up with the following which looks like it might work. No telling where it would leave the trolley after the train passes the reed switch to kill power to trolley automaticTrolley2.png

·
Registered
714 Posts
You could have shown the circuit you came up with before asking the 'how to' ...If you're that astute with electronics, why'd you ask ?....Then S in post #2 gives you the 'how to', and you dis it in post #3. Nice..(y) M

·
Registered
846 Posts
Scratchin' my head a little, but I think that would work. :rolleyes: I should be more up on that kind of ckt than I am...
I found some really unobtrusive reed switches and magnets for this purpose, on the Model Railoader forum, if you're interested...(y)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually the circuit I threw together AFTER making the post and was thiinking about it. I found this page Simple Soft Latch Switch using Push-Button - Electronics-Lab and worked from there. I have no component values so it is far from complete.

It would seem to me that things like this would already exist on a prefabbed basis, but who knows.I cant be the first person that wanted to activate something as I pass it with a train.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Sheesh! Google "automatic trolley reverser". 329,000 hits 🤣
Web has it covered. But like you most of us look for a way to "do it oursefs"
I'm interested in your circuit, like to see it implemented!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
wow you are right, who knew?

I did not see anything there that started/stopped the trolley when the train passes a point however.

I just updated this a wee bit because the trolley motor is an inductive load and I am reversing polarity I added a protective diode and an electrolytic capacitor. At the same time I tied the forward/reverse circuit to the same power supply which would probably be a 12V source as long as that doeos not make the trolley move too fast, and if it does there are always resistors to slow it down.

If anyone can help me with component values that would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The latest evolution allows Multiple stops, and allows trolley to optionally resume the same direction it last moved as opposed to reset by keeping the direction circuit energized (S5). This means you could put a "stop" reed relay on the trolley track and the trolley will stop there. It however will not resume until the train passes a "start" reed relay.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts