Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Lee, instead of covering the streets center rail with tape, couldn't you place a nylon washer or disk on the car magnet to increase the spacing and reduce the friction? That way the road could be used for both types of vehicles.

Pete

·
Admin
44,361 Posts
Lee, I think you may have sold me on this system! I have a bunch of the Streets stuff I was going to use for my second level town, but this would probably work out better in the limited space I have to turn them around.

The good thing is, I don't have that much invested in Streets yet. :)

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lee, instead of covering the streets center rail with tape, couldn't you place a nylon washer or disk on the car magnet to increase the spacing and reduce the friction? That way the road could be used for both types of vehicles.

Pete
Yes, that idea works well (although i used a .5mm bit of sheet styrene), and being able to run both types would be an advange. Two points I did not make earlier are, first, without the tape the wire-guided cars eventually have a tire get caught in the slots, and two, that I would like to get rid of the slots and rails in the street to get a more accurate look to my Main Street.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn’t a UPS vehicle look good on the new system!! ;)
Well, you are right. A UPS truck pulling up in front of my house is always a thing of beauty - and anticipation. I'm about to get something new!!! :)

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Very Interesting. I’ve been converting my trolley loop to a “Streets’ loop for a few months now, but I’ve lost interest. With the tight curves of the AutomotionFX system, I could extend the streets around the entire layout, have two way traffic and have cars stop at intersections. The cars look to be about twice the price of WBB cars, but may be worth it. Nice to have built in speed control. Only drawback (for me) is I would no longer have a place to run trolleys.

There does not seem to be a variety of cars available at this point in time. Only a VW Beetle and a VW Squareback. Maybe they sold out of everything else.

Part of my layout is removable rigid foam (for access hatches). I’m thinking that the guide wire could be imbedded in the foam.

I am eagerly awaiting updates.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Lee, given your vast knowledge of model vehicles could you recommend any 1/43-1/50 vehicles with steerable wheels but represent the 1935-1950 time frame? It appears Automotion offers the wire and motors with rear drive for reasonable prices. Their current offerings are too modern for my era.

Pete

·
Registered
483 Posts
Lee, you have done us a great service with your testing, analysis, and interest in this new to O-scale system, particularly given your years of accumulated knowledge and experience with Streets.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Lee, thanks for the great review of the AutomotionFX cars. Like I said in the other thread about AutomotionFX , my dad and I were really impressed by their operating display at the Denver model train show. We're both planning on incorporating AutomotionFX cars into our layouts.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Leading the way. Great info.

Perhaps a diode might be better for speed reduction. The (near) constant voltage drop may be beneficial in turns were the mechanical resistance draws more current.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leading the way. Great info.

Perhaps a diode might be better for speed reduction. The (near) constant voltage drop may be beneficial in turns were the mechanical resistance draws more current.
That's a thought worth experimenting with. thanks.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The three 1:43 cars I ordered from their website came today. These are absolutely top-notch products, very well made.

I am very pleased.

Slide15.JPG

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
They look super. But how did you order them from the website? When I click on SHOP FOR VEHICLES, it sends me to their ebay site with none of the cars you just got.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They look super. But how did you order them from the website? When I click on SHOP FOR VEHICLES, it sends me to their ebay site with none of the cars you just got.
That is what I did, too. I think their inventory is depleted of 1:43 cars because I bought all they had on hand.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Thanks Lee. Good to know. With you as their advocate, I suspect they will have to ramp up O scale production.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Lee. Good to know. With you as their advocate, I suspect they will have to ramp up O scale production.
I actually worry about that, that they will be overwhelmed. Yesterday I sent him eight diecast cars to convert: he charges $95 to $135 or so for each but I need enough. I'm working on several dfferent designs for both making my own cars and big rigs.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Very interesting Lee. Maybe soon you will be writing a new book.

Any chance that you will be able to convert your existing fleet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts