Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Another very interesting segment and a company I heard never heard of before.

Lee puts a lot of time and energy into this weekly thread. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Never heard the term Italian-ified before, but now that I think about it… The current Fiat 124 Spider is the Italian-ified Mazda Miata. It looks better and costs less than its Japanese counterpart.

I do have a rare Italian car on my layout, but it’s not really a favorite. Lancia Aurelia B24 Spider.

IMG_3400 (2).JPG

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a nice Lancia! They were cool cars, one of the first sports cars with a wrap around curved windshield. Nice little V-6, too.

I actually saw one out on the street here in NC two weeks ago. Really surprised me - haven't seen one outside a car show in thirty years.

W

·
0 Posts
I never heard of this company either. Nice cars. Those K-Line figures look pretty good as well. Boy do I wish K-line was still around in it's entirety. Great thread Lee.

Thanks,

Gary.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh Wow, the Gordon-Keeble. Emile, that is a rare car. Only about 100 were ever made.
I have a model too. Interesting car.

Have you ever seen the British TV detective series Waking the Dead, about the Scotland Yard cold-case squad? It is a good series, and my wife likes it, too - any women on earth will watch it because it stars Trevor Eve. Anyway, in one episode, a Gordon Keeble figures as the key clue in a 20-year old murder mystery. The car had two gas tanks, one on each side. The owner had plugged off one and converted it into a secret compartment to smuggle drugs. The murder gun and evidence to convict him were hidden in the gas tank!

I searched for years for a model of one before finding it, just because of that TV show!

T

·
0 Posts
Oh Wow, the Gordon-Keeble. Emile, that is a rare car. Only about 100 were ever made.
I have a model too. Interesting car.

Have you ever seen the British TV detective series Waking the Dead, about the Scotland Yard cold-case squad? It is a good series, and my wife likes it, too - any women on earth will watch it because it stars Trevor Eve. Anyway, in one episode, a Gordon Keeble figures as the key clue in a 20-year old murder mystery. The car had two gas tanks, one on each side. The owner had plugged off one and converted it into a secret compartment to smuggle drugs. The murder gun and evidence to convict him were hidden in the gas tank!

I searched for years for a model of one before finding it, just because of that TV show!
Here's another blurry shot, but you can see TWO gas caps. The making of a great premise. I haven't seen that show, but I'm going to now. There could be a layout vignette in this. Thanks for the tip.

Emile

View attachment 486598

T

·
0 Posts
My Jag XJ-6 had two tanks as well Emile, the caps were even in the same place. Are you sure this isn't an XJ-6 with different sheet metal? :p:p
Lee can probably answer that one better than me but I'm reasonably sure that the Gordon Keeble GT had a fiberglass body. The engine was an American made Corvette V8 and the body was created by an Italian Car Designer. The rest was good old British engineering. Seems like the perfect formula for a good looking powerful car that won't start on rainy days. I won't be surprised to hear they borrowed a little engineering from fellow Brit Jaquar.

Emile

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The Gordon-Keeble had a steel body made by Bertone in Italy, and a Chevy 327 V8. I don't know how good a car it really was, but it looked fairly nice and was well fitted out in Italian leather inside, etc.

Emile, I can't remember or find out which episode of Waking the Dead that the car is in. There were eight seasons and about four 100 minute shows per season. I think it is in the first three or four. The initial clue is confusing - they find only the key chain for the car, with its and a car emblem that is a tortoise. They eventually trace that to the Gordon-Keeble - strangely its hood badge was a tortoise.

Here are statistics and info on it:
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1967/1018625/gordon-keeble_g_k_1.html

T

·
0 Posts
The Gordon-Keeble had a steel body made by Bertone in Italy, and a Chevy 327 V8. I don't know how good a car it really was, but it looked fairly nice and was well fitted out in Italian leather inside, etc.

Emile, I can't remember or find out which episode of Waking the Dead that the car is in. There were eight seasons and about four 100 minute shows per season. I think it is in the first three or four. The initial clue is confusing - they find only the key chain for the car, with its and a car emblem that is a tortoise. They eventually trace that to the Gordon-Keeble - strangely its hood badge was a tortoise.

Here are statistics and info on it:
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1967/1018625/gordon-keeble_g_k_1.html
The Waking The Dead episode is from Season 3 (Series 3) and is called "Final Cut". I spent way too much time finding that but I was determined.

As for whether the Gordon-Keeble had a steel or fiberglass body, the answer is: Both. The prototype built in 1960 by Bertone had a steel body. By the time the GT went into production in 1964, the steel body was replaced by a fiberglass body made in England by Williams & Pritchard Limited. It was a cost saving decision but it also made the car lighter. The production run lasted from 1964 to 1966 resulting in 99 cars. An additional GK was made in 1967 from spares, bringing the total made to exactly 100. A truly rare car.

Emile

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
. . . . but it also made the car lighter. . .

Emile
We're watching that episode again tonight.

And it was light, indeed! According to automobile-catalog.com, my go-to-source for details on just about any car ever made (I was surprised the listed so much about the Gordon Keeble) it weighed 25 lbs less than a '64 'Vette.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts