Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
These are great, just wish they had a bit more battery life. I help run a public display at the holidays, and I'd love to get a highway and main street going with these, but we run for 3 hours at a time...

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A QUICK UPDATE and WARNING

I heartily recommend the wire-guided operating vehicles by AutomotionFX, but I don't recommend anyone try to build roads out of posterboard like I did. Only a week after installation i am having problems with the road surface very lightly buckling or settling and wearing out in places (even though it is painted with a very hard oil-based paint). It looked good but clearly is not durable. And it may be that humidity and temperature differences hurt it. I don't know. At the rate it is deteriorating so fast it will not last even several weeks at the current rate..

I HAVE ALREADY STARTED REPLACING MY NEW ROADS TO SOMETHING BETTER. I am using AutomotionFX's pre-made roadway. It is made of hard fiberboard with a bigger wire than Faller uses (for even better magnetic steering attraction) already installed underneath the middle of the lane. The photo shows some of that roadway positioned as I am installing it this morning.

I will report more this coming Friday. But please, no one copy the way I reported building the roads. It was, I thought, a good fast way to make good looking slightly-crowed roads quickly. They look good and everything worked well the first, day, pretty good the second day, okay the third day, and by the fourth day some of the cars would not run well on it. After a full week, I have all sorts of minor by annoying problems that cause the cases to go off track or bounce over tiny puff-bumps in the road surface.

Newer road.jpg

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you Spence, but I have to expect failures like this every once in a while when I try new things.. And better to find out soon, so I can re-do it now.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I ponder 1/8" hardboard from HD. Cutting the large sheets to shape would enable large swathes of seamless roadway. And then route the bottom for the wire. Though I don't have any ideas for a crowned roadway ....

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it came to that I'd do the hardboard and routering, but the AutomotionFX roadway is all sized and fitted with the wire, so it is easy to use. They make curve sections in different radii and all so the worse you have to do is sometimes cut/trim a curve to fit.

By Friday I would be able to report how installing it actually goes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Lee, thanks for the important update and warning. I'll look forward to Friday's update.

SUGGESTION: Edit your opening post to alert new readers to the problem you've now discovered.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
thank you Spence, but I have to expect failures like this every once in a while when I try new things.. And better to find out soon, so I can re-do it now.
Up until it had a crack form in it, my favorite coffee mug had a great Thomas Edison quote printed on it that perhaps applies to the learning curve you've gone through on many of your projects. "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

·
Registered
524 Posts
When I talked to the AutomotionFX rep at the train show, he said they can make road shaped to your specifications or design.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Up until it had a crack form in it, my favorite coffee mug had a great Thomas Edison quote printed on it that perhaps applies to the learning curve you've gone through on many of your projects. "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
(y)

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, trust me. I definitely learned how not to build wire-guided roads.

I haven't had this big a disaster since I used Simple Green to clean Fastrak.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts