Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to get back on an even keel and into a new daily routine after my wife's death. This week, for the first time in a month, I actually worked on the layout a bit. I did the markings on the road and installed street signs. Main Street is looking good. I also decided I am tired of fussing with wiring and replays and such, so the traffic lights I was ready to install have gone into a box for some future time. Going to concetrate on completing the cosmetics of Main Street now. That seems like more fun.

Plant Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Truck

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

Car Tire Building Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Building Window Tire Car

·
Registered
665 Posts
Agree with you wholeheartedly on the stuff that you enjoy doing! I hope that you also don’t enjoy putting in speed trap cameras….that falls under bad wiring I believe.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Nice work, Lee, and I agree about working on what you enjoy! There's enough stuff (in model railroading and life!) that we just have to do or put up with, so IMHO we're more than justified in taking any opportunity to do the fun stuff when you can! 😉 (y)

Just curious: it looks like you have some sort of animation setup for your roads, but if so, I'm not recognizing it. I've periodically checked out such systems, but most I've found are for HO scale, and my layout is mostly legacy O scale. Your roadbed looks more like slot car track, but if so, you've really kit-bashed it! So, what did you use, and what have you done with it?

·
Registered
9,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice work, Lee, and I agree about working on what you enjoy! There's enough stuff (in model railroading and life!) that we just have to do or put up with, so IMHO we're more than justified in taking any opportunity to do the fun stuff when you can! 😉 (y)

Just curious: it looks like you have some sort of animation setup for your roads, but if so, I'm not recognizing it. I've periodically checked out such systems, but most I've found are for HO scale, and my layout is mostly legacy O scale. Your roadbed looks more like slot car track, but if so, you've really kit-bashed it! So, what did you use, and what have you done with it?
Thanks. Yes, the roads and cars are automated. I've had some of those other O-gauge systems in the past, and wasn't quite happy with them, so this is my own system. The road is slot car track cut and installed to fit. Since slot cars go much too fast and don't look like 1950s cars, i made my own cars. They are modified 1:43 model cars, mostly Brooklin models, that use a hybrid chassis made form a Carrera slot car front axle, and a rear drivetrain/axle from a WBB EZ-Street car, itted with the model's original wheels and tires. They cruise at about 20-25 scale mph. I have a system of motor controllers, sensors and relays to keep one from running up on the rear of another as as many as ten circulate Main Street loop at once. i will try to post a video next week.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts

Take a look at these threads for more details.
(4) Search results for query: Automobiles, trucks and | Model Train Forum

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Thanks. Yes, the roads and cars are automated. I've had some of those other O-gauge systems in the past, and wasn't quite happy with them, so this is my own system. The road is slot car track cut and installed to fit. Since slot cars go much too fast and don't look like 1950s cars, i made my own cars. They are modified 1:43 model cars, mostly Brooklin models, that use a hybrid chassis made form a Carrera slot car front axle, and a rear drivetrain/axle from a WBB EZ-Street car, itted with the model's original wheels and tires. They cruise at about 20-25 scale mph. I have a system of motor controllers, sensors and relays to keep one from running up on the rear of another as as many as ten circulate Main Street loop at once. i will try to post a video next week.
Thanks, Lee. I'll look forward to your video, and any details you can provide about how you put your system (and cars!) together. At present, it would be difficult to design or locate a turn-around capability for road-going vehicles on my current configuration, but there's always the next layout (or at least layout redesign), and I always look forward to new challenges! 🥴🤕

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Thanks, Lehigh, and my apologies for not finding the earlier threads myself -- my only defense is that I'm relatively new to the forum, hadn't seen the earlier discussions and didn't realize how long Lee has been working on this, or the amount he has already posted on this topic!

Lee, I'm just blown away by your ongoing project (and I haven't even worked through all the earlier threads yet!). I must admit I always have a soft spot for recycling and/or updating legacy tech where appropriate, and your tweaking of vintage slot car tech from our childhoods to more realistically model in O scale is just marvelous! I don't have a good candidate area on my layout at the moment in which to try out some of your ideas, but I'll keep an eye on your progress and eventually figure out how to follow at least a few steps down your path . . . good luck, in any event, and thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts