Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spence, I think we have much the same automotive tastes. I can admire the engineering genius it took to design the advanced suspensions and make all that weight savings, while, as I said, recognizing that the cars were unmitigated nightmares from a "car standpoint." Not usable for anything except sport driving. In particularly, I recall the first time I rode in a Europa. They car felt so light and delicate that it was almost like the salesman giving me the test drive and I weighed as much as the car. Getting in required contortions and adjustment of your body that would not be welcome on a daily basis, and the car buzzed and vibrated and jostled a lot, it was so light. Later, when I drove it, I will admit it handled better than anything I have driven up to that time except a Formula Vee car, but for a personal car - no way. Still, Lotus sold ever one it made, and the car established a dominate record in its class, winning races like Le Mans and Sebring. That just goes to show that a race-track record really doesn't indicate at all if you will like the car as your own.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Interesting review Lee. Back during the slot car craze I had a Lotus 1 that won a lot of races at the local hobby shop. The shop had a huge 6 lane race track that got a lot of action during the peak of slot car racing.

Bill

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Nice collection of Lotuses. The only one in my diecast collection is a formula 1 car that was on sale. Jimmy Clark was and still is my favorite driver.

Chapman’s philosophy was “Simplify, then add lightness.” I suppose that’s why his race cars were winners (when they didn’t break).

A friend of mine had a Caterham (the current version of the Lotus 7). He didn’t keep it for very long after he put it together, so I suppose, he couldn’t live with it.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I've wanted an '83 Lotus Esprit Turbo for as long as I can remember.

Burt umber, ski rack on the hatch, leather interior, Blaupunkt sound, AC, power everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts