Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
A very ambitious project. I had a lift out track section years ago. It was a major pain and did not work well, but part of that was because I did not do a very good job on it.

I’m guessing that is a 28” door and your span is about 40”. Have you thought about lift ups (hinged), lift bridges or drop downs? I’m thinking they would be less hassle when you want to access the storage area.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where does the door go Lee? If you haven't missed it for all this time, is it really a necessary door? :)
Yes and no. The no it is not important answer is, I haven't gone in there in twelve years. There is 140 square feet of storage space - some only with 2 feet of headroom but others with five feet, back there, and I have gobs of old stuff and momentos there which I have managed to do without all these years.
The yes it is important answer is: I need to do some maintenance on 32 year old ducts and wiring back there, and I don't think i can put that off much longer. Doing it this winter, when it is cool in that un-air-conditioned part of the attic, will be far better than . . . well, you know.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Is mainline 1 all the same level? No risers.
Thanks
No, all three of my tracks rise and fall about eight inches in the course of going around once. If you look at the next to last page (the view "an hour ago," the track in the foreground and the second of the two in the background are both the same loop: Mainline 1, but if you study the photo, the track in back is about 6 inches highter than the part in front.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I mentioned hinged drop downs and lift ups before, but if you only need access a few times every decade, lift outs are the way to go. In fact, I would screw them down. That’s what I did with a few bridges so I could get access to the back corner of my layout. Gargraves makes blade connectors that make it easy to remove the track. I suspect Atlas has something similar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts