Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Take a break from the mess and watch practice at Mugello. I don't think I have ever seen that track before and it looks like a great circuit. And the Ferraris look fantastic in their 1000th race color.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I mentioned that on a thread where Lee was running a big rig on the city street, but since the work is already done to make the country road accommodate semi trucks, I don’t think steerable rear wheels is happening.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I mentioned that on a thread where Lee was running a big rig on the city street, but since the work is already done to make the country road accommodate semi trucks, I don’t think steerable rear wheels is happening.
Couldn't recall who mentioned it ...

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys. I did experiment with a steerable trailer. I it didn't work, i fact is seemed to make the trailer go unstable (sort of spin out upon entering a curve). I played with several different configurations for the steering and then gave up for the time being: I think I might know how to make it work, maybe, but I also realized that if I could ever get it to work it was going to take a lot of time to get it perfectly, whereas added 1 inch to the inside of a curve is something I know will fix any problem. Besides, this looks very realistic, because it is how real big-rig trailers follow their tractor.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Perhaps increasing the length of the steering arm would help. . The longer the arm, the less steering effect. Also, that would swing the trailer out before it's rear wheels get to the curve. That's what drivers do in tighter curves; swing the tractor opposite the turn to move the trailer outside and then enter the turn. Maybe it would boil down to an equation: Arm length = X% of the distance between the tractor pivot and the rear wheel pivot.

I presume you knew to arranged the rear wheel steering to move outside - opposite - the curve ... just in case you had a "DOH" moment.

You'll be the "Yoda" of wire guided when we see a tandem video :giggle:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lee you can avoid the dust by "wet sanding" the spackle. Take a small terrycloth towel, wet it, wring it out thoroughly and wipe gently over the spackle. Rinse the pad and repeat as necessary...it really works. For next time I guess

1 - 14 of 14 Posts