Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much to post this week - "stuff" seemed to absorb all my time this week although I did manage to put in significant time working on my Country Road. I make good progress every day, yet what is getting old is that there is still always so much yet to do. Below you see a photo taken about ten minutes ago. I have the gravel shoulders installed along the entire route, some vegetation added here and there, and have just sprinkled a full quart of Woodland Scenics Earth-blend turf alongside the road to complete the basic scenery. In the scene below I had to work standing up in the pop up hatch where the small lake normally is. Later today, after the glue on this step dries, I'll suck up all the stray earth blend turf up into a clean tank in my shop vac: if my experieince yesterday with the fine ballast I used as gravel shoulders for the road is any indication, I'll get more than half of what i sprinkled out over the layout back again - it missed the glued areas or fell too thickly to adhere - and once vacuumed up will empty the shop vac and pour it into the container again. Surprising how far one quart will go when you do that.

DSCN9926.JPG

Next step is to sand the primer on the road surface and put the final coat of paint on, then stripe the road, install road signs, fences along the road, etc. Then, I have about 400 trees to install. That sounds like a lot, but as you will see in a week on so, it is not. I really need another 400: model trees (good ones anyway) are expensive enough, a realistic forest - ouch!!
The rest of my country Road - the other three-quarters not seen here, are at the same stage. With luck I may be done by next week, or not.
, and finally, the lake surface (hatch cover) to put back, and this project will finally be done

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Looking good Lee.

To gather up excess/loose turf/ballast, I use an old pair of my wife’s calf high hose. I stick the toe in the shop vac tube and hold the top part to the tube with the nozzle. Works well as a filter and it’s easy to empty the turf/ballast back into the jar. You do have to empty it frequently or it is hard to remove from the shop vac tube.

BTW, On the NEWS last night they had a piece on the reopening of Discovery Center in Philly. They showed a Lego vehicle using the Faller wire guided system for a few seconds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts