Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posted this on the streets thread but, in case you missed it, this is a company offering a track and O scale vehicles that looks like a step up from streets.

You might want to check it out.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I got the chance to see a demo of their O scale vehicles recently at a show. It was very impressive. They make both 1/43 and 1/48 scale vehicles. You can also have your own vehicle converted to operate with their system. They just started up, so their website is a little thin on info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I checked out their website and it looks pretty cool. I only wish I had room for it on my current layout.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I would imagine this uses the same method that Faller has been using for more than a decade.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would imagine this uses the same method that Faller has been using for more than a decade.
I believe it is based on the Faller system. The change now is they're making O scale vehicles (1/43 and 1/48) and they are building their own roadway that is shaped different than the Faller roadway. They'll also cut custom roadway shapes for you. AutomotionFX has created more electronic controls and interface modules and are selling the parts to convert your own vehicles.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
You could create your own custom roadway. Use a 1/4" (or so) router bit in plywood and bury a steel/iron wire in the groove. Cut the groove on the underside of the plywood using the tight tolerances of the router and a better quality plywood. Then paint the top side with appropriate colors using a resilient paint to minimize wear.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
what's the little thing under the front bumper ??? it looks like it moves side to side, and steers the front wheels ?? it's definitely visible ..

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I believe that's the pickup for the embedded wire. On Faller vehicles it is also part of the steering linkage so the tires aren't scrubbed on the pavement.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
it doesn't say so directly, but it just looks like a magnet ?? the wire is just ordinary iron wire, isn't it ??

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
it doesn't say so directly, but it just looks like a magnet ?? the wire is just ordinary iron wire, isn't it ??
That's what I thought. The magnet follows the embedded wire steering the vehicle along the roadway. From a previous post; motor power is from rechargeable batteries.

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's what I thought. The magnet follows the embedded wire steering the vehicle along the roadway. From a previous post; motor power is from rechargeable batteries.
That's how it workds. What I think is neat about it is the ability to set things (speed, direction, not collided with other vehicles) and the interface modules you can add. You can program the cars to stop at stop signs and red traffic lights. There seems to be a lot of possibilities with the system.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
That's how it workds. What I think is neat about it is the ability to set things (speed, direction, not collided with other vehicles) and the interface modules you can add. You can program the cars to stop at stop signs and red traffic lights. There seems to be a lot of possibilities with the system.
Yes. I took a peal at some of the videos. My takeaways ...

The traffic light stop is activated by a magnet under the roadway. But I'm not sure of the stop and go details. The anti collision uses a reed switch in nose of the following vehicle. When the following vehicle closes in a magnet in the tail of the lead vehicle trips the reed switch and cuts motor power. The switch resets once the lead vehicle is further away and the following vehicle resumes moving.

I had a similar idea for operating two conventional trains on a single loop. An an infrared proximity detector in the trailing train/loco would detect a train ahead. When tripped, the following train would have a power resistor inserted into it's motor's electrical feed. That would slow the following train for a bit to increase the distance, not actually stop the following train.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Its exactly like the Faller system. I'll post more when I can, but you can modify small 1:43 and 1:48 remote control cars and trucks, with rechargable batteries, to "steer" and follow a buried wire like in the Faller system, and use them in O-Guage. That seems to be what Automotion FX is doing.

I'm building a couple of vheiciles myself, modified them, and will buy a cou[le for their vehicles to test. Will see how this compares to 'Streets, which I've bene using since I gave up N-Gauge for O.

I had experience with the Faller N series years ago. Good and bad was:
Good: they run well, and look good and you can bury the wire and make any route you want.
Bad: the Fallner N and HO cars, and these Automotion cars it appears, have built in batteries that are not quickly removeable - you recahrge the car, rather than take out and switch batteries. The Faller cars run for half an hour before needing to recharge but slow down alot the last ten minutes, so really its about 20-25 minutes of run time on a charge, then it takes about three times as long to recharge as they will run for
So, in order to keep one car running all the time you have to own four ,along with three chargers, and change them out about every twenty minutes to half hour. to have four running (as I did) you need to owna dozen, and a line of chargers on a nearby table, and you are spending a lot of time switching them in and out.
GOOD GOOD GOOD: but they look spectacular. No slots, no rails, no nothing! The streets look absolutely like they should, and the cars and trucks turn and twist on their routes like magic. The steering won't get confused if the wire it is following crosses another wire at right angles (or even another more than 20 deg) so you can have very interesting routes.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Oh, and that iron wire that you bury just under the road surface? It is easy to bury, but DANG HARD to cut. Sort of laughs off diag cutters. Just puts a notch in them if you aren't careful, and defies you to cut it. Really is difficult to cut. I used a metal file and filed through it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Lee, I asked the AutomotionFX guy at the show what the run time was. He said they use Li-Po batteries and get around 6 hours run time out of the O scale cars.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Lee, I asked the AutomotionFX guy at the show what the run time was. He said they use Li-Po batteries and get around 6 hours run time out of the O scale cars.
Six hours would be good. I ordered two of their cars, and have a converted remote control truc about done. I will test all of them and report what i discover.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts