Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Bachmann 4-8-2 steamer that works very nicely but acts crazy when a TCS KA-1 is installed. The keep alive never seemed to work but after I did a decoder reset just trying anything to make it work now the engine will take off backwards until what must be the KA discharges. The faster I turn it on and off the less time it runs backwards as if the capacitor is less charged up. If I remove the KA the engine runs normally. I'm positive I have the KA connected to the correct points on the decoder as TCS has a picture on their web site showing the connection points. I'm at a loss for things to try and the main tech at TCS is out sick they say so I thought some of you guys might have a suggestion. Thanks Bill

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Are you certain you actually need a keep alive? I had a room size HO DCC layout with 10 4 wheel truck DCC locos...none
had a stay alive circuit....I regularly used a track cleaning
car and kept the loco wheels clean...also I used Peco Insulfrog turnouts. At no time did I see loco lights blink or locos pause
when going over the Pedo plastic frogs.

Don

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Look for an option that allows the loco to automatically detect DC track. The KA probably appears as a straight DC signal when you first power on the track, which confuses the controller. Disable the DC detection and it should work normally on your digital track.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Write a value of "34" to CV29. That will keep the direction and lighting 'normal' for a steamer, but it removes the ability of the decoder to act as if it might be fed DC current. Some decoders are sensitive upon inrush of current when you first power the rails, and they'll take off like a jackrabbit. And crash on the first <20" curve if they get a good speed going before the curve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts