·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice locomotive for the price
and not too shabby in performance
(once the bugs are worked out).

DCC w/sound

My grandson is partial to Union Pacific power...
But we're both wary of Bachmann locomotives' finicky performance lately... including running gear issues, and DCC noise.
He bought this Bachmann Northern on sale, and sure enough -- it had a "buzzycoder" right out of the box. Too noisy to test-run or 'play' with.
Fast forward to replacement decoder...

It's actually a great runner now, and although it doesn't like the steeper grades, it'll pull 32 freightcars on level track without overheating (although he uses it mostly for passenger service).

Typical Bachmann locomotive detail, which is far better than their rolling stock (I have several Geeps, 44t's, S2's, & S4's).

For the price, even with the decoder replacement, it was worth it. It's a daily runner on my grandson's layout, and he's very happy with it.
160-53502_c8041073-5a96-47c9-ad0b-6a2a805d284a_1080x~3.jpg

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have one of those from a while ago when they first started making the overland train set. The only thing I don’t care for is they took a nyc Niagara and pulled the smoke deflectors off and painted it up Union Pacific. To a person that’s not a prototypical modeler it’s great! I’m glad he likes it!

·
Registered
787 Posts
On sale, where? New, in box ? Second hand ? Is it a Spectrum model ?
Bachmann went from being bottom of the barrel in the 1960s to today being among the best locos out there...
From you last sentence it looks like you're confirming that...

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... they took a nyc Niagara and pulled the smoke deflectors off and painted it up Union Pacific.
You're right, it's a fantasy job...
It's a dead-solid ringer for the NYC Niagra without the elephant ears.
But for $108 out the door, it was a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On sale, where? New, in box ? Second hand ? Is it a Spectrum model ?
LHS "overstock" sale...
NIB, and not a Spectrum model. I haven't seen the Spectrum logo in quite a while.
The Bachmann locomotive factory produces far better stuff than their rolling stock farm.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I’m modeling the atsf in the early 40s so my model is not being used currently but it’s a neat little display to somewhat represent one of the fef alco northerns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts