Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new style Bachmann 44 ton switcher that has a single motor and is DC or DCC and no sound. The slow speed was not the best plus it had a hi frequency vibration in the motor. So I bought a Digitrax DN136D DCC controler without sound on Ebay for 17.98. I followed the instructions and soldered all the appropriate wires to the dcc controller and tested it. It ran nice and smooth at slow speed and no noise from the motor. Then I programmed the controller for a slow speed switcher which gave better speed results (no high speed on the top end). The original DCC board had very poor lighting so I added some white styreen on each end to hold some 7 to 19 volt warm white LED's. The LED's were purchased at Evan Designs in Laporte CO, they are 3 volt led's pre-set up for 7 to 19 volts AC or DC. I also changed the coupler's to Kadee whisker type.

The old controller is the one next to the track.
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some more work on the lights yesterday. The original setup had a small flat clear plastic disk inside the cover and would not transmit much light out. So I turned down some clear plastic rod on the lathe to fit the length of the light cover. Now during the daylight you can see the lights on.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a fun little engine. I'm passively looking for the older version with dual truck mounted motors to repurpose for a project. Some day
Hi Anton, I actually like the older bachmann 44 ton switcher better. It has a better looking light lens. I looked at your new track layout. It is a very nice thought out design. You have a continuous track plus numerous switching options. I am currently building a shelf switching puzzle 6' X 1'.

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I added ESU Loksound...
Their Cummins Diesel sound is awesome. On startup and idle it's goosebumps.

View attachment 470610
I agree the ESU Loksound is the best available for the 44 ton switcher. I have a grandson who is autistic and sounds bother him. So I wanted one switcher without sound. The other one I have has sound and I may upgrade it to ESU Loksound.
Ed

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have painted the 44 ton switcher to match my other diesels. It is painted with Tru-color Lacawanna gray and yellow. I also changed the front and rear lights to the older style. Lots more to do on it.
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed the decals on both sides of the 44 ton switcher. Instead of the SW logo that is on my other diesels I decided to spell out South West on the sides using 1\16 lettering. Once the decals are dry I will spray Dull coat on the shell.
Ed

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts