Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, does the sound operate fine on a dc layout, or do you have to have a dcc layout to hear the sound? Picked up a class J that was in very rough shape today and trying to figure out if the sounds messed up or it only works on a dcc layout?

·
Registered
418 Posts
The sound should work on standard dc but you won’t be able to use functions very easily like the horn or bell etc. if the loco runs then sound should be on unless the previous owner has set the cv settings to have the volume off

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'm just going to add that some models now have a kind of dual mode. So there's DCC mode, then in traditional DC operation sounds and even lights for example may play in an automated sequence from the same engine with voltage applied. This could be a more recent development and offering. And at least on some you can set aspects of this feature in the DCC mode. Of course it's a little bit of a chicken and egg problem as suggested above. I have at least two that support this dual mode but they are pretty recent offerings ...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This engine was beat around pretty good with other h.o. products. It had a hard life, It currently has no sound and i'm trying to figure out why.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts