Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For a freelanced private road
Steel mill and coal facility shuttle operations.

As a youngster I saw a lot of these operating between Oakland and Fresno, breaking down coal trains, and running MW shunts.
They were popular workhorses of the period.

Bachmann is the only producer of this loco in HO scale, so I'm forced to live with some serious shortcomings (which I'll explain later).

Original model was black & yellow, and unlettered.
So far, the shell has been stripped in isopropyl, and sprayed with ModelMaster enamel primer.
It'll be fitted with Kadees, an antenna, wipers, roof-mounted horn, rerail frogs, LokSound, and extra weight (probably glued-in solder strips). (*)
Then it'll be finish-painted, lettered, weathered, and sealed with DullCote.

(*) It's grossly underweight, (with poor traction) and stutters through some turnouts... if the stutter isn't cured with added weight, it'll also need a 'keepalive' circuit.

Early 70 tonners suffered from occasional minor fueling fires, due to electrostatic arc issues (faulty grounding). After a few incidents they'd have prominently scorched and rusted mid sections, which I'm considering replicating (to a degree) with weathering.
60607_1014652_Qty1_4 (1).jpg
SP_GE70ton_5102.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It'll be painted, trimmed, and lettered to match this 45 tonner.

IMG_8689.jpg
IMG_8693.jpg

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
I had two of the DCC Bachmann 70 ton switchers. You are very right...you must
add weight to these otherwise fine models. I glued 2 or 3 ounces in the
very crowded shell. That gave the loco the pulling power is should have.
However, for maximum pull I consisted them tail to tail and they served as my
main switchers for the rest of my layout's life. They could smoothly break down a long
freight with no wheel slip. I never had a power pickup problem or derail
troubles on my Peco turnouts.

Don

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
However, for maximum pull I consisted them tail to tail...
I saw several in dual-consist.
On one occasion, I remember a pair pulling a string of pickle cars.
This is the only photo evidence I could find though.
download.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What sound file are you going to program the loksound with?
Oh, okay...
The 70 ton was powered by a 660 hp 6 cylinder Cooper/Bessemer.
I haven't looked into the files to see if it's in there.
It would've been cool if the prototypes were Cummins... it's reproduced superbly by ESU, and I locked it into my 44 ton (goosebumps!).
Otherwise, a single chime Blatt horn, and electric bell.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another conversion, the 44 ton, also with LokSound (as is the 45 ton).
image2 (1)~4.JPG
image4.JPG

·
Registered
423 Posts
Looking forward to see how the project turns out. My 70 ton sounds like a can opener..it’s not used, and more of a dust catcher. It’s a good starting point for a neat loco otherwise...cheers

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I poked around for a sound file for the specific Cooper/Bessemer motor but found nothing. But good news, there are still some running examples out there!! Bad news, looks like a complicated and possibly expensive personal project to collect and build a correct sound file for it.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I poked around for a sound file for the specific Cooper/Bessemer motor but found nothing...
I really wasn't expecting it to be in there.
What I'll probably do, is fake it, and use the Alco 539T file (S4 prime mover).
Granted, it's 400 hp more, but I don't think it'll hurt.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A detail shortcoming
A major design/planning oversight.

Detail-wise, as a standard out-of-the-box Bachmann, it's 90% 'as-expected'.

But there is no rightside window detail.

No sash or even framing... nothing but a bordered rectangular hole!
I attempted to superglue-in vertical separators to impart a semblance of a partitioned window, but they were just too easy to dislodge.
Very disappointing.

I'm looking through my stash of plastic windows, (Tichy, etc) to see if I can find a right-sized part that'll provide four-sided contact for better adhesion.

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
A detail shortcoming
A major design/planning oversight.

Detail-wise, as a standard out-of-the-box Bachmann, it's 90% 'as-expected'.

But there is no rightside window detail.

No sash or even framing... nothing but a bordered rectangular hole!
I attempted to superglue-in vertical separators to impart a semblance of a partitioned window, but they were just too easy to dislodge.
Very disappointing.

I'm looking through my stash of plastic windows, (Tichy, etc) to see if I can find a right-sized part that'll provide four-sided contact for better adhesion.

·
Registered
8,646 Posts
Some time back I saw, on Youtube, a short video of two proto GE 70 ton switchers
slowly street running thru a California town...they were consisted nose to nose...and a
crewman was laid back enjoying the ride on the front platform. I just tried to
find it to no avail...maybe one of our members more agile at computer searching
can find it.

Don

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bachmann sells the cab ($11), or the entire shell for $26. Unfortunately they aren’t shipping out at this time due to Covid19...cheers
D947C39B-A1CA-436C-8B35-D6C2294F3BEC.png
8A76A95C-E934-4049-B4EA-707DF0187598.png

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thankyou for that!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Well hold in.. If you search Cooper Bessemer on the esu website, it'll come up with a few hits. But at first glance the locos don't seem right. However it may be the sounds are for the ge engine purchased from Cooper Bessemer... The 70 tonner is mentioned in the write up below.

Here...

This may be right... "

The GE 70 ton end cabs had a Cooper Bessemer in line six cylinder described as an FWL-6T.
Contemporary export units in 1951 had engines described as FVL-12T (T for turbocharger). "

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Added weight
Mo' better!

The 660 h.p. prototype 70-tonner was not known as a brute by any means, but out-of-the-box this model is a pathetically wussy featherweight, and unable to handle much more than 4 two-bay hoppers (barely 2 loaded quads) without slipping.
After spraying it with primer, and before proceeding with any add-on details, I've glued 2.75 oz of weight inside the shell (strips of solder).
I reassembled it to the frame, put it on a test track, (continuous inner/outer loop) and tried it out...
Voila!
It now moves a decent string of assorted hoppers without slipping or overheating. The extra weight also cured an annoying stutter through turnouts.

This is probably the most help that added weight has ever given any locomotive I own. Hands down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts