Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have these installed on layout, it says they do not need wiring .Do they work?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
If they don't need wiring, they get their power and signal just like decoders do in locomotives. In fact, I would bet big money that a simple stationary decoder is what runs the points.

I hope you get some evidence as to their reliability. I had EZ-Track 14 years ago, and it wasn't bad. The 18" turnouts were reliable, but they needed work to keep the flanges from picking the points. A DCC version of them would be pricey, and I sure hope they work reliably.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they don't need wiring, they get their power and signal just like decoders do in locomotives. In fact, I would bet big money that a simple stationary decoder is what runs the points.

I hope you get some evidence as to their reliability. I had EZ-Track 14 years ago, and it wasn't bad. The 18" turnouts were reliable, but they needed work to keep the flanges from picking the points. A DCC version of them would be pricey, and I sure hope they work reliably.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
You have to give Bachmann credit for making a simple to operate turnout - no wiring!. My preference is a control panel for operating turnouts, but then I don't mind the wiring. I use a Digitrax DS-64 and while they can be operated via DCC I still like a push button and lights and the DS-64 achieves that with the use of Switch Master stall motors.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
We had a couple of Bachmann non-DCC turnouts on my son's first layout, and to put it politely, they stank. I'm with lemonhawk, in that I prefer to operate mine with a fascia-mounted pushbutton (connected to a servo under the turnout), so I've never used a stationary decoder for one, but on other Bachmann turnouts, tolerances are sloppy and the point rails very short, causing an abrupt turn on to the diverging route.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Gee I like the no wiring concept. Over in that other place it seemed to come up regularly about the power draw of fastrack switches and grj himself said it was just a few milliamps.

For what's it worth I always used track power for them. They also could be initiated outside the command system.

Something like this appealing to me in ho even though I've ditched plastic track.. which does not mean bachmann makes that.

Because you know... I'm lazy. I mean I want convenience.

(Ok so this post is officially not helpful)

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I agree with you on the convenience. It's a great ideal. Too bad it was applied to a substandard turnout.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts