Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Bachmann 60348 HO GP-40 Alaska Diesel Locomotive.

When I put the front truck on the rails and supply power the back wheels are powered.

As soon as I put the back truck on the track, the power is stopped and my transformer's overload light comes on.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time, Ron.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
I'm assuming it is a standard DC, not DCC. What happens if you put JUST the rear truck on the rails, and does it overload right away, or only when power is supplied?

Maybe someone who has experience with that particular model can give you a more precise answer, but in the meantime, I'll take a shot. Basically something is shorting out when you place the rear truck on the tracks. It may be as simple as something dragging on the track, but more likely there is a wiring issue inside the loco. If the rear truck picks up power too, it may wired incorrectly or there is a loose connection. If not, it's probably some piece of metal touching something it shouldn't.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Sounds like you have a short of some sort in the rear truck. Remove the rear truck frames and the problem should be apparent. Unusual fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I put on just the rear truck, the same thing happens. It will run until I put on the front truck.

I am attaching a picture of the front truck. Hopefully you can see it clear enough. Does everything look correct?

Thanks for your time and replies, Ron.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
This sounds like a situation where one truck has been installed
backward. Either that or the wires from one of the trucks has
been connected wrong inside the loco

I have 2 of these locos. They are all wheel power pickup. The
short results when a improperly wired truck is put on the track.

There usually is a red wire and a black wire coming from each
truck. The red wire should be on the same side on both trucks,
in your situation it is not, or has been incorrectly connected
inside the loco. You'll have to remove the shell to check how
the red and black wires are connected, or to remove the truck
and turn it 180 degrees so that the red wires are on the same
side. At this point I don't recall whether red wire is left wheels
or right.

Don

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
that loco is supposed to come [60348] with dcc onboard, but what seems relevant is that it's listed as all wheel power pickup, and eight wheel drive, which to me means that it has drive shafts going to both ends. pretty hard to turn a truck and have it fit and work ...the image appears to be a non powered truck, which can be installed reversed, especially if it was bought used, not new... and probably is not a 60348

·
Registered
903 Posts
Wires to one of the trucks gotta be swapped. Bought a motorcycle like that once; the officer who stopped me did I signaled left then turned right!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

Thank you all for your replies.

With your suggestions I figured out the the front non-powered was reversed.

I turned it around 180 degrees and viola it worked perfectly.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Ron.,

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I should have remembered that from my boat piloting school days...
Red, Right, Returning. Long time ago.

Atlayank, glad you got 'er going.

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts