Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
🌈 I felt compelled to add a new OP about Bmann quality..
All the Bmann which people make negative comments about are usually not in their Spectrum Line. Their Prairie is no exception..plus a few other locos..
But their HO Spectrum line models, especially steam, are real winners...I own the 4-6-0 (ten wheeler), the modernized 4-4-0, 2-8-0 Connie, and 1 ALCO RS 3.. They all are very smooth runners and creep well. The details on the steam and the lettering/numbering/livery are crisp.. The RS 3 is quite good but maybe lacks some of the finer details, and lights are a bit too dim.. The headlights on the steam can burn your retina.... Flanges are shallow..The sound is typical Tsunami (lows could be a bit deeper). And they all respond correctly to my NCE PCab..
In the 1960 thru about 1980 Bmann was all junk..At some point they did a 180 and retooled for better quality and now are among the best locos out there, and can be found at decent prices..

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I have a B'mann 4-6-0 and RS-3 in N scale DCC non-sound. Both run just as you described yours. The RS-3 will creep at almost imperceptible speed. Nice locos.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Even outside of their Spectrum line, Bachmann has some good locos. The USRA 0-6-0 for example, it was a piece of crap until it was updated. Other than the 2-6-2 Prairie ive had no trouble with any of Bachmanns newer locos.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have a 4-6-0 low boiler (Spectrum line) with a tsunami2, which I absolutely love. I also have an 0-6-0T which is not Spectrum, and while it runs well at moderate speeds it does not seem to creep. The difference is that the ten-wheels has had time to break in on a circle track, while the switcher has only been run for a few minutes on the circle before being moved to a shelf layout. I'm hoping with more time the switcher will also be a creeper as it seems to be geared lower.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 4-6-0 low boiler (Spectrum line) with a tsunami2, which I absolutely love. I also have an 0-6-0T which is not Spectrum, and while it runs well at moderate speeds it does not seem to creep. The difference is that the ten-wheels has had time to break in on a circle track, while the switcher has only been run for a few minutes on the circle before being moved to a shelf layout. I'm hoping with more time the switcher will also be a creeper as it seems to be geared lower.
If you mean the Porter 0-6-0t, then yes it should be able to do a slow crawl once its been run in. Mine had to run for an hour or so in both directions before it would do a smooth crawl.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, all 5 positive replies !! I was gearing up to get pounced on !! I think those who still boo hoo Bmann are still remembering the experience the had with the early stuff and thus haven't owned any since its revamping.
Yeah, my 4-6-0- is the low type, too. Brought it to a club about a year ago and it hadn't ever been run yet..A member next to me was kind of snippy at me over it even being put on the rails......until I ran it !! Then he was so blown away he was yelling across the room to someone, "Hey Tom, you gotta check out this Bachmann !!" ...M

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I've only had a couple of issues with Bachmann products. An HO scale Climax had drive gears that split and made it inoperable. It was replaced with a Spectrum 4-4-0 under warranty and I've yet to have any issues with it. At the price point, they're about all I could ask for in a model as far as detail and operating quality goes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I gotta agree, I've had almost no issues with bachmann, their warranty is good, and their customer service is quite responsive (y)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have 2 berks from bachmann.. love them both! Good running, & love the details! I have a 4-8-4 that I just picked up. It is not as nice as my berks, but it is older model. Probably from the 80’s from Hong Kong. Has smoke & a pancake motor. I got it running.... we will leave it there!! Lol
I plan on remotoring it , and replacing the gears. I’m sure I can make it a good runner. I picked it up for cheap!!! So why not??? Lol I also have several freight cars from bachmann all good!
I like bachmann motors so much I replaced all my rivarossi berks motors with bachmann motors! It was some work, but it works well !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have 2 berks from bachmann.. love them both! Good running, & love the details! I have a 4-8-4 that I just picked up. It is not as nice as my berks, but it is older model. Probably from the 80’s from Hong Kong. Has smoke & a pancake motor. I got it running.... we will leave it there!! Lol
I plan on remotoring it , and replacing the gears. I’m sure I can make it a good runner. I picked it up for cheap!!! So why not??? Lol I also have several freight cars from bachmann all good!
I like bachmann motors so much I replaced all my rivarossi berks motors with bachmann motors! It was some work, but it works well !

Hmm....the infamous Bachmann pancake motors. I hate those things.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am too naive to understand today's phrases so what does "Bachmann blows" mean? I tried to google "Blows" and couldn't find any pertinent answers/results.

NOTE:
Sorry for the Off Topic but I tried to PM "thecommentmaster7" but couldn't figure out the "How To PM" procedure.

Thank you,
LeRoy
Lol!! I don’t know if your being sarcastic, or serious.... however that made my day!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I have had good luck with there silver series cars and run several of them. As for the Bachmann I do not run steam currently or sound. As for the Bachmann locomoties I had moved away from them due to past had experiences. Starting out I used allot of Athearn locomotives, still do. I found Walthers Mainline series to fit my performance per dollar requirements nicely when getting new ones. I have no argument that Bachmann has improved but unless they have something I really want last experience makes me hesitate about buying one from them.

I guess what it boils down to is for me Athearn and Walthers have been consistant. Bachmann was not. If I have to pick I tend to fall back on the track record of the company.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have had good luck with there silver series cars and run several of them. As for the Bachmann I do not run steam currently or sound. As for the Bachmann locomoties I had moved away from them due to past had experiences. Starting out I used allot of Athearn locomotives, still do. I found Walthers Mainline series to fit my performance per dollar requirements nicely when getting new ones. I have no argument that Bachmann has improved but unless they have something I really want last experience makes me hesitate about buying one from them.

I guess what it boils down to is for me Athearn and Walthers have been consistant. Bachmann was not. If I have to pick I tend to fall back on the track record of the company.
I can respect that! Like I have said I have a few newer bachmann locos & I enjoy them. I also have a handful of the older pancake motor uhh... scrap ???? Lol I did not give much of anything for those & find when I want to try something new I use them as test subjects! or I rob parts off of them for others. I have one athearn loco I do really like it! The details are very crisp! However it is a special loco ( international harvester ) paint on it. So I don’t run if a lot! It looks amazing though!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I purchased a Spectrum first edition Class J 4-8-4 maybe 11 years ago, off of eBay. It never ran well. It wasn't used, was new, but it's lower pilot edge constantly caught on my rails at the bottoms of grades where none of my other steamers or diesels did. I sold it and got a "Stealth" BLI decoderless J from BLI. It was a decent runner and I haven't looked back. Strike one against Bachmann.

About eight years ago, I listened to the claims from a very experienced and helpful forumite over at MR forums who uses almost nothing but Bachmann steamers. He claimed that the Heavy Mountain 4-8-2 was a winner, and that he was happy with the several he owned. I got the last one at trainworld. It's a nice model, but it takes a hockey sock full of start voltage in CV2. It runs smoothly once underway, but that CV2 input is a killer...I think it's set at 45 or higher. I'm led to believe it gets better as the drive gets worn in, something that takes me forever to accomplish because I keep swapping engines out on my layout after maybe 30 minutes of running.

The fact is that all the importers have a few dogs running around...well, not running, actually. Their train sets are going to be problem children before long, often right out of the box. But their main offerings are really quite excellent now in terms of details and running qualities because the HAVE TO BE. The market is competitive. As well, the internet makes peoples' peeves that much more apparent and promulgated, so service has to improve and reputations have to be safeguarded. This is a golden age, and Bachmann is a player as much as any other importer.

I sure hope they'll re-issue their H-6. It had a well-deserved reputation for being an excellent model. Bachmann's Spectrum 2-8-0 won rave reviews widely across the internet. Same for their fantastic EM-1. Statements like Bachman 'blows' are just sterile, puerile, bereft of context, and inflammatory. Those who react to them have nobody but themselves to blame for the way they feel. Enjoy...if you must.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have the Bachmann 4-8-4 from the Overland Limited train set, if that gives you a clue as to the expected quality. I put a Tsunami sound decoder and speaker in it, first sound install I ever did in fact. It runs quite nicely! No complaints at all. Some have commented on the "dreaded side rod lock", but I've had no trouble at all with mine.
I also did a makeover on their 0-6-0 from the DCC On Board line. The stock decoders in that line leave MUCH to be desired! They are not the same decoders they use in the Sound Value line.

It runs really well, now, also! Adding pickups to the tender definitely improved its performance, though.

·
Registered
559 Posts
i needed a cheap dcc loco so i could make sure my stuff was working before i start converting my trains to dcc and was recommended one for $40 shipped!!!!
it works for my needs...
EDM GP38-2 Diesel Loco 61120 H/O... just had it on the track too.. in dc mode..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts