Model Train Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Most of my locos are Bachmann. They work for me.

However, my most recent purchase, a 2-8-0 Consolidation (not Spectrum) started making a racket last night for no apparent reason. The rear axle was binding. I took it apart and everything freed up, so I reassembled it, ran it for a minute and it went back to binding. When it binds the wheelset is also difficult to move from side-to-side.

In the low speed video you can see it pause when the connecting rod is about 4 o'clock. In the high speed video you can hear the racket it's making.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Drive gears look good. I think the axle is broken on the last/rear drive wheels. Didn't see a way to get in there last night, but I'll check again as I have to open it up again.

I have to pace myself working on locos. If I go at it too long they tend to splat on the wall. My patience typically gets stretched to it's limits at my day job.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I go at it too long they tend to splat on the wall.
LOL! I've felt the same, but then I remember how much I've spent and sanity returns. I suppose it's a good thing they're as expensive as they are or I'd have a lot of train-shaped holes in the wall.

As for the B'manns quality, I haven't had such great luck. I really want to like 'em...they're one of the few firms that makes a decent selection of steam engines in N... but so far they've had issues out of the box or failed with very little runtime. And after a not-so-great experience with their repair dept. I don't think I'll be buying any more. Maybe it's just a size thing-I don't see a lot of complaints from people in the larger scales.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
While I don't have any Bachmann at all as the loco models they make simply didn't exist on my railway, their Spectrum line of locos does look very nicely done and detailed. Their steamers look pretty nice. Though I don't have experience with their performance.

Their freight cars on the other hand don't get a second glance from me. A bit crude by modern standards, and often with notable accuracy issues.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Lol!! I don’t know if your being sarcastic, or serious.... however that made my day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, that was likely a troll anyway. He's already been banned.

For Homeless by Choice, the easy way to PM is to click on the poster's avatar (picture or letter), then click on "Message".

·
Registered
194 Posts
Most of my locos are Bachmann. They work for me.

However, my most recent purchase, a 2-8-0 Consolidation (not Spectrum) started making a racket last night for no apparent reason. The rear axle was binding. I took it apart and everything freed up, so I reassembled it, ran it for a minute and it went back to binding. When it binds the wheelset is also difficult to move from side-to-side.

In the low speed video you can see it pause when the connecting rod is about 4 o'clock. In the high speed video you can hear the racket it's making.

Hmm...just ordered an older version of this loco, hopefully it doesnt have the same issues😯

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve currently got twenty-two Bachmann steam locos. I think 15 are Spectrums. Actually, they all run well and they run often. Back in the 90’s I was very leery about Bachmann. They had a bad reputation that they earned. However, that was then. I have no hesitation buying Bachmann from more recent years. Good locomotives.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Can't speak to other categories but my experience with recent base level Bachmann diesels has been quite positive.

The reason is quite simple. Nearly all the basic affordable Bachmann diesels today are -with some exceptions- the well regarded Spectrum models of decades ago.

No one is confusing them with the current state of the art, but even their basic train set GP is a reasonably detailed 8-wheel flywheel-drive gp40.

1. I also like Trainman diesels but Walthers seems to be passing them out. Luckily, they and BB Athearn Locos are still widely available second hand.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Nearly all the basic affordable Bachmann diesels today are -with some exceptions- the well regarded Spectrum models of decades ago.
I wish we could say that about the ten-wheeler that we all seem to love. Unfortunately Bachmann stopped making the Spectrum version of this model over a decade ago, and now they only have the red-box version. I mean, it still looks halfway decent, but it only takes a couple seconds of looking at it to realize this doesn't have nearly the same amount of detail as the Spectrum line had. I have to settle for watching ebay to pick up more of them, but it's worth the time to me.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts