Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I have the EZ 36-501 blue controller. It cleary shows 16vdc input. The wallwart sent in place of the Euro transformer is 110vac to 16 VAC. However, the US 44932 grey controller shows it's input of 16vac. To further complicate matters; it reads 22vac without load. Reluctant to plug in. Can someone straighten me out? Zene

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I'm confused. Why are there two controllers to the one system, one a 'blue' one and the other a 'grey' one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mes... If I understand you think I have two controllers? I have only the blue. The problem I'm having is why two of apparently identical controllers have different inputs. AND my controller came with vac input. Zene

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Where did you buy it? The 36-501 is the European version of the unit, and there may be more differences than just the power supply. Track output from the unit should be approximately 14VAC so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that input would be 22 VAC, but why take a chance?

Send it back and get the US version, since you seem to be in Washington State. That way, you know everything is the proper voltage for US use.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I would definitely advise you to use THE power supply the company states is meant for either of the two controllers. The other case sounds like it will be a costly error that also might let out the magic smoke. Contact the company, tell them what you have in your possession, and see what they say. To me, the input and output are key factors that are engineered specs. You need a certain output to run your decoders effectively, but you don't want voltage input to the controller substantially higher than what it is rated for. At the low voltages we're dealing with, even a three volt difference is substantial, and I think it ought not to be considered for use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got from the Brits much cheaper (important on retirement pension) and they claimed was the newest version. Unit will be fine once I figure out the power supply. Zene
I would definitely advise you to use THE power supply the company states is meant for either of the two controllers. The other case sounds like it will be a costly error that also might let out the magic smoke. Contact the company, tell them what you have in your possession, and see what they say. To me, the input and output are key factors that are engineered specs. You need a certain output to run your decoders effectively, but you don't want voltage input to the controller substantially higher than what it is rated for. At the low voltages we're dealing with, even a three volt difference is substantial, and I think it ought not to be considered for use.
Thanks everyone. Will contact Bachmann direct. Zene

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
The 'BLUE' EZ DCC controller was made for the Euro
market with 240 volt input power supply.
The OP states that the ACTUAL controller
label says that it's INPUT is 16 V DC. You should
NOT plug the 'replacement' 120 volt power supply in if
it's label says 16 V AC. It will damage the controller

The Bachmann replacement website is not at all clear.

They offer 2 replacment power supplies:
A. 16v AC output for 'old style' controller
B. 16 v DC output for 'new style' controller.
(both with 120 v ac INPUT)

However you definitely want the power supply with the 16 v DC output
since your EZ controller label says 16 V DC INPUT.

My question: How do we determine whether
an EZ is 'old style' or 'new style'?

Don

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Got from the Brits much cheaper (important on retirement pension) and they claimed was the newest version. Unit will be fine once I figure out the power supply. Zene

Thanks everyone. Will contact Bachmann direct. Zene
The Brits have an expression: "Penny wise, Pound foolish". The money you saved on the cost of the item is now being chewed up by rework, uncertainty, and effort. Was it worth it to save a few bucks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts