Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

Registered
I think your missing the point. Your looking at it as a model train, they are seeing it as a piece of Corvette memorabilia. I'm betting that buyer doesn't even have any track. Or if he does, it runs around a room full of other Corvette items. I've got several hundred dollars worth of Corvette items sitting on a shelf doing nothing, and this was one of them until my son took an interest in trains.

Different folks, different strokes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yes I never thought of it that way.

Registered
Now I'm not so sure its a good idea to convert it to DCC. Will that lower the value? If so, keep it in the box or on display and find a different one to run and modify. If your never going to sell it, have at it but use a Digitrax decoder, much better decoder and they will replace it if you mess it up.

Registered
The thing to know about Hawthorne village trains is that quality wise and mechanically they generally represent the whatever the current state of Bachmann train sets is at time of production.

In the past that was cheap single truck powered "pancake" motored locos, more recently it's likely to be a reliable -if basic- 8wd unit, maybe even with flywheels.
馃寛 I keep thinking this: If I understand you correctly, you want to keep and modify this engine because of it's paint scheme (livery) being Corvette. If so, what about buying another engine, same type (F7) 'DCC/sound on board' and exchanging shells ? It's not likely they both mount the same. But it's likely you'd only have to make new slots in your shell to match the tabs on the new chassis, and maybe do some minor headlight adaption work...
This is the path I'd go. If you look at the Trainworld website you'll usually find a Bachmann DCC F unit with sound on sale for less than the parts necessary to mod one yourself.
Here's one you might consider.
Going by what i can see of the bottom of your loco there's a chance they even mount the body the same. If you'd like to post a pic of the whole underside I'll compare it with my recent production Bachmann.

If you are still inclined to DIY, the first step would be to open it up so we can get a good idea of the suitably of your loco for conversion. If it's a relatively modern 8wd it's feasible.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Now I'm not so sure its a good idea to convert it to DCC. Will that lower the value? If so, keep it in the box or on display and find a different one to run and modify. If your never going to sell it, have at it but use a Digitrax decoder, much better decoder and they will replace it if you mess it up.
Yeah, it was damaged (scratches and broken coupler)and incomplete without the box, so I'm fine running it. I'd love to find the caboose for cheap, but the flat bed are made to hold a matchbox size Corvette and just look silly (way out of scale) as they hold one each. It would be cool to find some car haulers (is there such a thing?) And some 1:87 Corvette for it though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
The thing to know about Hawthorne village trains is that quality wise and mechanically they generally represent the whatever the current state of Bachmann train sets is at time of production.

In the past that was cheap single truck powered "pancake" motored locos, more recently it's likely to be a reliable -if basic- 8wd unit, maybe even with flywheels.

This is the path I'd go. If you look at the Trainworld website you'll usually find a Bachmann DCC F unit with sound on sale for less than the parts necessary to mod one yourself.
Going by what i can see of the bottom of your loco there's a chance they even mount the body the same. If you'd like to post a pic of the whole underside I'll compare it with my recent production Bachmann.

If you are still inclined to DIY, the first step would be to open it up so we can get a good idea of the suitably of your loco for conversion. If it's a relatively modern 8wd it's feasible.
Thanks for that! Might be an easier path. I'll post pics up in a bit

Registered
Yeah, it was damaged (scratches and broken coupler)and incomplete without the box, so I'm fine running it. I'd love to find the caboose for cheap, but the flat bed are made to hold a matchbox size Corvette and just look silly (way out of scale) as they hold one each. It would be cool to find some car haulers (is there such a thing?) And some 1:87 Corvette for it though.

There are a fairly wide range of HO scale corvettes. Ebay is probably your best bet. Just don't buy HO Slot Cars as they are not actually HO scale.
IF you want them displayed on a train, the car is called an "auto rack" What you would want is one of the more old fashioned "open" auto racks that don't have solid sides.. There are a variety of these including some quite affordable old life-like and bachmann examples.
You could easily have an auto rack filled with Corvettes from the ages. Maybe for a caboose you could find out which train line services Bowling Green Ky or whatever plant produces(ed) Corvettes?

Registered
It's amazing how values change depending on the crowd. These go for $300+ for the set on eBay as a collectors item. I don't most of them have ever been run (I didn't pay nearly that for it in case your wondering!)

As I said in my previous post, it's value would be related to it's "Corvette" content, not because it is a good electric train.

As far as Bachmann decoders, I'd pick another brand. In my experience, 2 out of 3 Bachmann decoders have an unacceptable buzz.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
As I said in my previous post, it's value would be related to it's "Corvette" content, not because it is a good electric train.

As far as Bachmann decoders, I'd pick another brand. In my experience, 2 out of 3 Bachmann decoders have an unacceptable buzz.
Yup.

I'll stay away from Bachmann then. How about these guys. Don't really need fancy fine tuning, just reliability.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33

Fairly simple affair at this point.

Registered
Not sure what is going on. But from the looks of the 3 pics above it looks like a well built item.. A can motor, 2 brass flywheels, hefty frame, nice details on the trucks, etc. look to be on the higher quality side of this loco production..
Thus, unless I'm confusing the intention of the OPer, and if OPer has got the gumption, it just may be worth it to modify it...

Registered
Fairly simple affair at this point.

That's nice. Worlds ahead of the old pancake-motored Chessie that was posted earlier in the thread. I see new style can motor, heavy frame brass flywheels, etc. What you have there reflects the fact that over the years Bachmann has been slowly upgrading it's base line of locos bringing them closer to the level of (or replacing them with) the "Spectrum" locomotives that were their premium line in the 90's.

It'd be a fine candidate for upgrade (lots of choice and others can better advice you than I) and it should be a simple task to swap it with the DCC sound chassis I linked to earlier. Looking closer I'm fairly certain that you can swap out the truck sideframes (the whole truck might be swapable though) however if not, it'd be easy to paint the other set gold if that's important to you.

All this to say, you did well. It's by no means state-of-the-art, but you've got a relatively recent production, mechanically solid loco that should run well and be easy to maintain.

Registered
I never would have thought that it was built so well. From the outside it looked exactly like one of the pancakers, but lo and behold theres a can motor, fly wheels, and some decent weight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
That's nice. Worlds ahead of the old pancake-motored Chessie that was posted earlier in the thread. I see new style can motor, heavy frame brass flywheels, etc. What you have there reflects the fact that over the years Bachmann has been slowly upgrading it's base line of locos bringing them closer to the level of (or replacing them with) the "Spectrum" locomotives that were their premium line in the 90's.

It'd be a fine candidate for upgrade (lots of choice and others can better advice you than I) and it should be a simple task to swap it with the DCC sound chassis I linked to earlier. Looking closer I'm fairly certain that you can swap out the truck sideframes (the whole truck might be swapable though) however if not, it'd be easy to paint the other set gold if that's important to you.

All this to say, you did well. It's by no means state-of-the-art, but you've got a relatively recent production, mechanically solid loco that should run well and be easy to maintain.
Ok, I can't find the PDF about doing the conversation right now. Why do I need to replace the trucks?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts