Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
That Bachmann looks like the newer FT units internally. If it has the black gears it will truly be a great find.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I don't see why you would mess with replacing the trucks. I think the concern was the gold trucks were not a "correct" color, but your not after correct, your after Covette glitz! Did you want sound also or just DCC? Sound can easily add $50 to the cost of a decoder, but then you can ring bells and blow the whistle! I would guess that the "B" unit is not powered? I would also suggest that you look closely at the trucks and the gear train inside, clean out any old hardened grease and reapply some new (plastic safe grease). If you want you can apply some oil to any of the bearings in the drive train, but use very little! Take a sewing needle and snip the the end where the thread goes leaving a little 2 pronged fork at the end. This would allow you to pick up just a small drop oil and put it in the bearings. Use very little!!!!!! If you have to oil the truck wheel bearing you should use graphite, not oil.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Why do I need to replace the trucks?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
You definitely don't have to replace the trucks. In fact I probably wouldn't.

It was just that if you wanted the shiny gold sideframes you'd need to either swap them, paint the new ones or possibly swap the whole trucks.

If you're find with the color of the trucks that come with the new frame it'd be as simple as swapping the shell onto a new frame.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
You definitely don't have to replace the trucks. In fact I probably wouldn't.

It was just that if you wanted the shiny gold sideframes you'd need to either swap them, paint the new ones or possibly swap the whole trucks.

If you're find with the color of the trucks that come with the new frame it'd be as simple as swapping the shell onto a new frame.
Ok, your thinking of I swapped frames. I'm tracking now. I think we can do the mod as is without swapping.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
how many pieces did the set come with ?
I like to use eBay's "Sold Listings" filter to see about what things are selling for before I buy something.

You'd be surprised, but one of the complete Corvette sets recently sold for $350 plus shipping. Definitely not worth that much in my opinion, but apparently It was to somebody else.

I'd consider doing what telltale suggested and find another Bachmann F7 with DCC (they've made a few recently from what I've seen) and swap the chassis with your locomotive. As far as locomotive value vs. conversion cost it's probably not worth it to most people. If it's what you want though that's all that matters. From what I can tell looking at the Bachmann parts website, most of their F units use the same chassis. I'm not 100% positive of that, but it looks like it to me.
Looking closer at this auction, they show five flat bed and a box car too...I havn't seen that one before.

If anyone sees the box car or caboose up for sale I am interested.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If you are determined to install DCC you may wish to consider MRC's Loco Genie: 021700 LOCO GENIE UNIVERSAL DIESEL SOUND TRANSMITTER & RECEIVER - HO SCALE (6 Prime Movers)

They are easy to install and can find them for about $50 if you do some searching.
So I understand this is, it can act as a DCC/sound decoder and allow a train to be controlled through any DCC control, OR run directly with the included remote on either a DCC track or DC?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It pulls power from the rails, with the hand controller running the train. It does come with sound; prime mover, bell, horn. It can be programmed but that requires more equipment. What I like about it is that it is inexpensive, easy to install, and it is a walk-around throttle. For me the sound feature was just a plus. I don't use track power but run all my locos off of batteries.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It pulls power from the rails, with the hand controller running the train. It does come with sound; prime mover, bell, horn. It can be programmed but that requires more equipment. What I like about it is that it is inexpensive, easy to install, and it is a walk-around throttle. For me the sound feature was just a plus. I don't use track power but run all my locos off of batteries.
So, skip the DCC controller completely and just use these running off DC? Any problems running two or more at a time?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Reading through the manual, you can actually control it with a DCC controller/track or a DC only. If using DCC, you can still use the wireless controller, essentially giving you an extra throttle. Sounds pretty cool, and I think it just might be the way to go for me. About needing a DCC controller right away, but will be ready for one should we choose to later.

How long have you been running these? Any issues? How's the sound?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Been using them for about 6 months. No issues with them so far. The sound is not bad, but not great either. A better speaker would probably help. I use battery power because the layout is outside and I really don't feel like trying to keep the track clean.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
So, skip the DCC controller completely and just use these running off DC? Any problems running two or more at a time?

In my opinion, skipping DCC and all it provides, in favor of just getting sound, is a really bad tradeoff (full disclosure: I don't like sound in general).

Ask yourself what you really want. It sounds like you're playing whack-a-mole trying to save some money. There are some cases where paying for quality is the only way to go. Suck it up, save your pennies, and get what you really want.

Reactions: The USRA Guy

·
Registered
196 Posts
In my opinion, skipping DCC and all it provides, in favor of just getting sound, is a really bad tradeoff (full disclosure: I don't like sound in general).

Ask yourself what you really want. It sounds like you're playing whack-a-mole trying to save some money. There are some cases where paying for quality is the only way to go. Suck it up, save your pennies, and get what you really want.
That really couldn't have been said better, in the long run DC will only cause frustration. If you aren't ready to go DCC than don't fool around with the sound yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Unless I'm missing something I can run loco genie on DC and when I'm ready to buy they will work with DCC controller. I'm not really sure I see a reason for DCC with these if they work.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Unless I'm missing something I can run loco genie on DC and when I'm ready to buy they will work with DCC controller. I'm not really sure I see a reason for DCC with these if they work.

Yes you CAN do it, but its simpler to just go with DCC where you will be able to control locos and their sounds individually. Either way, you've heard our advise. Its your choice.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yes you CAN do it, but its simpler to just go with DCC where you will be able to control locos and their sounds individually. Either way, you've heard our advise. Its your choice.
Not trying to be difficult, I think there is some confusion (possibly on my end). But with the genie you can control each loco and sound individually. Each has is own controller. Sounds simpler to me. Perhaps I'm missing something?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Not trying to be difficult, I think there is some confusion (possibly on my end). But with the genie you can control each loco and sound individually. Each has is own controller. Sounds simpler to me. Perhaps I'm missing something?

If your determined to go with the Genie, then by all means.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts