Model Train Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone mentioned that you have an On30 train set made by Bachman? Hawthorne Village markets specially decorated trains for Christmas and collectibles. They are not HO. They are not O scale. They are roughly O scale trains built to run on HO track. Are you familiar with the various scales and track gauges? HO and On30 tend to have highly detailed and delicate parts easily broken off by youngsters. If your son is interested in trains you might be better off with a starter set in S or O scale (larger, less detail and easy to handle) themed with something that interests him. You can easily build you own set from online auctions of used equipment. Do you have a train store or is there a train show in your area?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
No, this is HO scale for sure. Looks like some of the holiday sets are On30. But by that scale an F7a would be over a foot long. This is definitely not that long.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Every system is going to have some kind of drawback. I choose the Genie because I run BPRC (battery power remote control) and it is a lot easier to get the Genie into a loco rather than RC components. You could even consider Bachmann's EZ Command. It's simple and easy. You could look over at FreeRails for more information on DCC and BPRC. As noted before it all depends on what you really want. It's your railroad...do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Not trying to be difficult, I think there is some confusion (possibly on my end). But with the genie you can control each loco and sound individually. Each has is own controller. Sounds simpler to me. Perhaps I'm missing something?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
There is no shortcut. This is a clever solution, but not a substitute for DCC.

Unless I am really missing something, you need to get one of these for EVERY locomotive you want to run. Every loco has it's own controller, so you're juggling all these little remotes to run multiple locos, while DCC can do it all from one handset. At $80 a pop (and yes, I'm sure you can find a better price), you're rapidly going to exceed the cost of a DCC set -- even a high end one -- and you still won't have all the capabilities and convenience.

But let me be clear: this is YOUR layout. You do what you want to.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts