Model Train Forum banner

Bachmann Hawthorne village

10K views 63 replies 16 participants last post by  CTValleyRR 
#1 ·
Tell me a little about this locomotive. What type is it, and is it a candidate for DCC. I don't know a lot about actual terrains, what makes and models, etc. I'd like too add sounds and possibly DCC to this if possible. I collect Corvette items, so this one has lots of interest for me. Thanks!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

See less See more
#52 · (Edited)
Reading through the manual, you can actually control it with a DCC controller/track or a DC only. If using DCC, you can still use the wireless controller, essentially giving you an extra throttle. Sounds pretty cool, and I think it just might be the way to go for me. About needing a DCC controller right away, but will be ready for one should we choose to later.

How long have you been running these? Any issues? How's the sound?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#61 ·
Has anyone mentioned that you have an On30 train set made by Bachman? Hawthorne Village markets specially decorated trains for Christmas and collectibles. They are not HO. They are not O scale. They are roughly O scale trains built to run on HO track. Are you familiar with the various scales and track gauges? HO and On30 tend to have highly detailed and delicate parts easily broken off by youngsters. If your son is interested in trains you might be better off with a starter set in S or O scale (larger, less detail and easy to handle) themed with something that interests him. You can easily build you own set from online auctions of used equipment. Do you have a train store or is there a train show in your area?

#63 ·
Every system is going to have some kind of drawback. I choose the Genie because I run BPRC (battery power remote control) and it is a lot easier to get the Genie into a loco rather than RC components. You could even consider Bachmann's EZ Command. It's simple and easy. You could look over at FreeRails for more information on DCC and BPRC. As noted before it all depends on what you really want. It's your railroad...do what makes you happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.