Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get drive gears for my old bachmann 4-8-4?
It is ho scale.
I found James trains.com he has 3D printed a few sets , but I am having a tough time trying to make a payment arrangement with shapeways. That is the site he sells through.
I also have seen that shapeways is a bit shady.
Bachmann doesn’t offer replacement gears for it at all.

I know these are not the best made locos from bachmann..... split drive gears, horrible pancake motors. I just don’t want to scrap it yet as I have a bit of history with this one. ( one of my first train sets from my grandma before she passed when I was young)
I bought a replacement loco off eBay ... but it had the same problem?... ( I thought I would get lucky with a good drive gear & a motor junk, but it was the same)
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I have bought detail parts and items through Shapeways a number of times. They are ok.

If you post a pic of the gear in question, that might help...

Tom

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have bought detail parts and items through Shapeways a number of times. They are ok.

If you post a pic of the gear in question, that might help...

Tom
I found the correct set of gears on shapeways. I filled out everything for them , but it won’t process my card for payment... I called my bank & was told it was sent through for approval, but not finished??....
the website tells me to check my card numbers & then won’t place the order.
I emailed the guy that prints & had the parts. He say he has 2 sets & to place the order. I just can’t get it to take my ... money?!?... lol
I have emailed their support, but have got 0 in response. The first time I tried to contact shapeways help my email was returned???

Uhh so frustrating!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Which set are you trying to get? If it is the gear I am looking at, it will be $24 total. They do take PayPal. I have an account there...

Tom

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which set are you trying to get? If it is the gear I am looking at, it will be $24 total. They do take PayPal. I have an account there...

Tom
I was looking at the full set for the bachmann 4-8-4 in ho scale. I believe they are made by James’s trains. $12.50 for the gears then shipping & handling, I think it was $24 or so..

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This set I believe. I have PayPal as well. It just won’t let me load the page to finish it??.. it’s quite odd

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well good news!! I was able to get shapeways all figured out with the sellers help!
My gears are on their way!!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Good job. It is weird how the site gave you so much trouble. Things happen I guess.
I was ready to get them for you and forward them to you. Glad things worked out.

Let us know how the repair works out.

Tom

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good job. It is weird how the site gave you so much trouble. Things happen I guess.
I was ready to get them for you and forward them to you. Glad things worked out.

Let us know how the repair works out.

Tom
I should have them by the 20th
I will post up a few pics of the repair when done. Now to see if I can sort out The pancake motor for a better running option I did look at bowser for the kit they offered. However it looks like they are sold & not restocking them.
Thanks again for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts