Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New unit, out of the box. Sounds good. Dies out after moving 1/2 length of loco. Tap on top of cab, all is good until changing direction, same thing. Track is clean, no issues with another loco.
Hate to send it back to place of purchase (last one). Any ideas what it may be? Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Are the wheels clean? I use a paper towel draped over the track, sprayed with alcohol, and hold the loco while one truck spins on the paper towel. That would be the first thing I do, before resorting to removing the shell. The Bachmann website is also a good resource with help, etc...cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doh! I ASSUMED the wheels would be clean, seeing it was new. I guess it could have been sitting awhile before I purchased it. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
The Bachmann S4 is a very nice switcher.
Has enuf power to move cuts of cars around the layout
also.

But, sometimes time on the shelf will do unkind
things. Cleaning the wheels is imperative for
smooth operation. A check of the truck lube is
a good idea also. If sitting a while, the 'grease'
gels and impairs movement.

If those tricks don't improve things it's likely
a red or black wire from truck to decoder is
loose. Gotta take off the shell for that.

Don

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Doh! I ASSUMED the wheels would be clean, seeing it was new. I guess it could have been sitting awhile before I purchased it. Thanks!
Model railroad stuff is not made in clean rooms. Fresh out of the box locos and track pieces can have all kinds of gunk on them from the factory, and from sitting around before being sold. Dirt should always be the first possibility you eliminate when troubleshooting a loco. That goes for your track, too. If you haven't cleaned it recently (today if using brass or steel, or 72 hours if using nickel-silver), clean it again, just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The Bachmann's I have have all had to have their wheel wipers bent outward just slightly to make better electrical contact with the back of the wheels. It's also a good idea to clean them with some isopropyl (not rubbing) alcohol. As CTV mentioned, straight out of the box does not equate to clean.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
What CTV said took me years to figure out... which exacerbated the issue even further.
Now, the first thing I do to a new locomotive is clean it!
I often find the wheels to be extremely 'dirty', and sometimes oily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts