Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a couple of smoke units for my old steamer rebuilds. I have one that the tank is cracked & the other the box is ok, but the smoker I think is burnt out. I can’t order parts from bachmann as due to covid 19
So if any of you all have a spare , or want to throw away........ I could pay to take it off you hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO, smoke is a bad idea...
It leaves a residue everywhere. Most clubs won't allow it.
Just my 2 cents.
I know I have some with it already. I don’t go to clubs.. this is my own layout.
I just want to repair the parts I have , so the locos are back to their mint condition. I find for me it’s more about the restoration of a old thrown out, locomotive, or sold as parts unit. I like to see it all back together & running. Even if i only run it a hour or so on my tracks. Then it sets for months. Most of the time my layout is ran by my 5 year old daughter..... she likes Thomas! So most of my locos set on the shelf. Lol

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you are planning on putting a Bachmann smoke unit in, keep these things in mind...1: if you forget to put in fluid before running, you will find yourself with a lopsided stack. 2: if you leave fluid in the loco, and by chance flip it on its side, you will have oil leaking inside your loco. 3: no matter how little fluid/oil you put in, whenever you run it you will have residue all over your wheels and track. And 4: the smoke is barely even noticeable and smells like a burning rug. If you ask me (and probably anyone else) its not worth the time and money to put it in. Either don't bother with it, or go with another brand.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you all are misunderstood what I was asking. I am looking for replacement units for my bachmann locos. I have 2 that have smoke units in them. One is a 4-8-4. The other is a 2-8-2. Both have the open box style smoke unit. The units are cracked & I and I want to replace them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s all good!! I really don’t plan on running these locos much at all! I just would like to know when I do they are not just a pile going down the track.

If I was to run them with my others I would probably just remove the units & call it a day.
I have a little rivarossi 0-4-0 that has a smoke unit, it’s from 78. I was born that year. My dad bought it that Christmas for under the tree.
I have replaced the motor & smoke unit on that. I only run it when he comes over on the holidays.
These two locos that are bachmann I got when I was 10. My grandma got them for a birthday for me.
I think I ran them out of oil & the units heated & cracked. Then probably burned out.
I just got my drive gears to replace them, and was looking at replacing the smoke units.
After that I will probably run them to show my daughters , and the up to the display case! Lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would be interested in it if any good? PM me if you would like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts