Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a Bachmann Spectrum GP-30 Diesel, EMD Demo #5639 - item # 41-0821-L7 which was purchased on Ebay. It needs a respray, and also the replacement of missing hand rails, part #s 76005-00D01 (2 off), 76005-00D02, 76005-00D03, 76005-00D04, 76005-00D05. I have looked on the Bachmann spare parts listing but it appears they are no longer available.

Does anyone know where i can get these, (I'm in Australia), either in Australia or USA?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you've been on the Bachmann parts site then I guess you've seen the replacement shells (with hand rails) for $22.76. That may be your best bet.

Thanks, I had seen that, but as I only paid $AU51.50 on Ebay, I don't think it is cost effective. I am toying with the idea of making them from either brass wire or Evergreen plastic.

Ian

·
Registered
4 Posts
A couple of options:

• use Athearn "Blue-Box" short & medium stanchions with .015 or .019 brass wire to make your own.
  • use Smokey Valley RR Products Kit #6 "Handrails and Stanchions for GP30", if you can find them.

Dan

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'd have to check but the older handrails from pre-spectrum Bachmann and Lionel GP 30 might fit. You can often find one of those old pancake motor models very affordably.

Let me know if you'd like and I can check. No guarantees but I might still have the cheap version to compare to my Spectrum.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I'm waiting for the purchase to arrive. When it does, I will photograph it and place it on this post. Apparently someone painted it black and from the photos on ebay it's a "crap" job. I will be stripping and repainting in my layout custom livery, so not sure how old it is.

Ian

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, the purchase has arrived. I will have to remove the shell - if I can find out how it comes off. (Hint, hint) the screw underneath only holds the fuel take on. I think I will have to lever it off.

I'd have to check but the older handrails from pre-spectrum Bachmann and Lionel GP 30 might fit. You can often find one of those old pancake motor models very affordably.

Let me know if you'd like and I can check. No guarantees but I might still have the cheap version to compare to my Spectrum.
Not sure what motor it is yet, but I'm certain it's not a pancake motor, going by the info sheet that came with it.

gp30.jpg
IMG_2876a.jpg
IMG_2876a.jpg
IMG_2881a.jpg
IMG_2882a.jpg
IMG_2883a.jpg
IMG_2884a.jpg

IMG_2885a.jpg

Ian.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Whoa, what a stinker...I can smell it all the way up to the States. I have one, it is a fine runner. When I purchased it, the front and rear railings were missing. I found that Athearn GP railings found in a scrap box fit perfectly and were quite sturdy.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Definitely not a pancake, those were only on Lionel and pre spectrum Bachmann versions. Looks like a standard can motor and flywheels. If it's in good shape it should be a good runner.

Looks like someone decided to messily spray black over what was probably a pretty cool EMD demonstrator scheme.

Once you get the shell off, I'd give it a long bath in Purple power or some other plastic safe paint stripping solution.

As for removing the body, after you take off the fuel tanks you should be able to pry the sides just a bit to get the body over the long rectangular mounting lugs. You can see the lugs over the air tanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Find a handrail set for an Athearn GP35, I did this for my GP30 builds, both of which were Bachman shells, I used the newer plastic ones but the blue box style should work too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts