Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, was wondering if you could help me with something. I have two Bachmann USRA 0-6-0 locos and for some reason they keep derailing on right hand turnouts. Ive checked the turnouts and they are fine, all other locos, steam and diesel, run fine on them. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Have you checked the wheel gauge on the 2 locos? That's the only thing I can think of...

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Get down as close as you can get. Use a flashlight. Run the loco as slow as you can go thru the switch and try to see exactly where/why it jumps. Check for level thru and across switch. No leading truck to help steer thru the switch.
Does it derail in both directions?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get down as close as you can get. Use a flashlight. Run the loco as slow as you can go thru the switch and try to see exactly where/why it jumps. Check for level thru and across switch. No leading truck to help steer thru the switch.
Does it derail in both directions?
Only derails forward

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran both locos forward slowly and could not see what happened. They just struggled a bit and jumped of the track. They both come off right at the point where the two tracks go in different directions.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Fire21 asked if you had checked gauge on the locos...??
Can you push them thru, sliding with no power, maybe detect interference?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You may find, if you use a finger to gently press all axles on the loco to one side, left or right doesn't matter, that your flanges don't line up. Make very sure all three axles are pressed firmly, but carefully, to one side and then hold the loco up to your eyes looking at it from the rear or from the front. You'll soon notice if one of the flanges doesn't line up. You want this:

<=)(=====)(=>, and not this: <)(======)(==> You'll see that, while all axles have wheelsets in gauge, they aren't situated properly along the lengths of their axles.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would check your wheel set. My 2-8-4 did this to me. It was only my 1218 that would jump. My 1225 would float right on through! Found out my front lead truck was off set. It would want to catch the frog as it went through.
Good luck! & keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok i took the chassis apart and re-alligned the flanges, runs well now. Thx 4 the help ;)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Success! I hope you can store the fix somewhere handy and call on it again. Often we forget these tips, and have to relearn them years later. Even if it's just to do a complete check of the train room before leaving: nothing plugged in that shouldn't be (ever leave a soldering iron plugged in...happened to me, but I got lucky), power off to bars and appliances, dehumidifier back on...that kind of thing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do any of you know how to give the USRA tender pick-ups? It cuts out slightly on certain sets of points and the jolt from the sudden stop sometimes derails my lighter rolling stock.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I added pickups to the Bachmann 0-6-0 tender. There are several ways it can be done. One is to use a piece of phosphor bronze wire touching the axle and a wire soldered to it.
Here is how I did mine:
I went back later and used smaller diameter wire instead of what this posts shows.
This gentleman used some cut down Kadee #5 centering springs to add pickups: Make Easy Tender Truck Pickups

This should give you some ideas.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Only want to add: If the same thing happens on all your switches, this proves it's not the switches. IE. The chances of all the switches being flawed is zero.. I too think it's a wheel gauge or side to side axle movement situ.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only want to add: If the same thing happens on all your switches, this proves it's not the switches. IE. The chances of all the switches being flawed is zero.. I too think it's a wheel gauge or side to side axle movement situ.
Its only the switches that have larger dead zones, because only 6 wheels pick up.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And one last Q&A session. Do you know how to get the shell off the loco, the diagram doesnt help me. I have the bottom of the chassis off and took out the screws under the boiler, but it wont come off.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Its only the switches that have larger dead zones, because only 6 wheels pick up.
Yes. Short wheelbase locos will tend to stall on unpowered frogs and insulators. But you were talking derailment prob, not continuity problem...IE. Why do you bring up dead zones now ? No experienced modeler disputes that..

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes. Short wheelbase locos will tend to stall on unpowered frogs and insulators. But you were talking derailment prob, not continuity problem...IE. Why do you bring up dead zones now ? No one disputes that..
I was talking about the dead zones because im wanting to add tender pick-ups on my 0-6-0, and that was the reason why. The derailment prob was fixed

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was talking about the dead zones because im wanting to add tender pick-ups on my 0-6-0, and that was the reason why. The derailment prob was fixed
Oh wait...nvm, i just realized what you were talking about....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts