Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ...

While you've likely seen me poking around the forum regularly, I'll confess that I haven't really touched my trains for the last 6 months or so ... been busy with life's other commitments.

Well, it's time to get back in the saddle, as they say.

I picked up a junker prewar Lionel 258 loco about a year ago ... late 1930's, matte black throughout ... the poor-man's stepdown from Lionel's more trimmed-out 259.

Last winter, I pulled the motor and gave it a full cleaning and rewire. Runs nicely now. However, the tired old loco shell has been staring at me, begging for some t.l.c., which was long in coming. Until yesterday, that is. I disassembled the shell, gave the pieces an oven-cleaner bath, and buffed them out nice and shiny with my Dremel stainless steel brush.

As for my refinish gameplan ... definitely not matte black. I'm thinking gloss red with shiny copper domes ... a Christmas look, perhaps.

The biggest hurdle I'm facing is now weather ... it's late in the season for outdoor spray paint work, though I'm hoping to squeeze some in in the next couple of days.

Cheers,

TJ

AS FOUND:

REWIRED MOTOR:

STRIPDOWN:

TO THE BONE ... ALL NICE AND SHINY:

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
TJ, really nice job in cleanup, I'm impressed.

I'd go with the red, should look GREAT!!:thumbsup:

Norm

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Purple unicorn" ???

Uhh ... no ...

;)

Thanks for the (otherwise!) nice comments. Good weather here today ... I'm priming in my prime!

TJ

·
Registered
419 Posts
Apple Red body, Brass fittings, and make the pilot house roof a dark emerald/holly green.

Or

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My painting weather-window was a good one ... two nice days of 60+, clear, low humidity. I'm pleased with how the loco shell components turned out ... Krylon primer then a few thin coats of Krylon Gloss Banner Red ...

Cheers,

TJ

Individual Shell Parts --

Shell Parts Loose Test-Fit --

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,712 Posts
Nice job, Tin man.:D:thumbsup:

Do you have the tender for it?

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, guys. No tender in the works as of yet. Actually, I might have a 1689T tender shell in the junk box ... gonna have to wait till springtime, though.

Cheers,

TJ

·
16,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Uhh .. no! ;)

But I can make handrails and shiny bits ...

The original handrails on this 258 were black painted steel ... rusted steel, at that. With my revamp of the loco, I'm going for more polished copper and brass, so am making new handrails out of brass rod. In bending new handrails to shape, it's important to get the dimensions and angles right for a proper fit.

So, here's how I make and use a simple jig to template the original handrails, and then use the jig to bend new handrails.

First, lay the original handrail down on a piece of scrap wood. Then, bang some nails into the wood, very closely abutting each corner where the original handrail bends ... small nails for the normal tight radii, and one larger nail for a more gradual radius.

Trace around the handrail on the scrap wood. Remove the original, and then lay down the new handrail rod material ... in this case, brass. Position the rod with some excess length targetted on both ends. While holding the rod tightly to the first nail, bend the handrail to the next nail, and "weave" it in place. Continue to the next nail, etc.

The process is simple, but it yields a near-perfect match to the original shape, and ensures that the new left and right handrails will be exactly the same to each other.

Cheers,

TJ

The old handrail, used as a template to position jig nails:

A new handrail bent around the jig's nails ... a perfect match! ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 97 Posts