Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, only a little... Having Bottas and Hamilton as #1 and #2 on the grid is making me feel better... :ROFLMAO: (y)
Just knowing that racing in general is ON is a good sign IMO.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
No idea what you mean exactly but I'd say here we cannot quite land the plan. Cases are stuck between 300 and 500 or so a day, testing is up, but positivity is stuck flattish slightly below 5%. If anything it has a worrying drift upward although this is so slight it's easy to dismiss it. I read they were trying to expand testing by eliminating pre reqs. Meanwhile we religiously wear masks in retail outlets, even in the parking lot to the door but cheat otherwise. So if we are the good kids, even we have failed if you ask me.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was not trying to make this post about our dismal failure to control COVID-19, but I have to agree that a great many people have decided to NOT be a part of the solution.
Our confirmed cases are increasing by record jumps; the young men in Texas, one of the hardest hit states, are positing that since we are not a communist country, they don't have to wear a mask! As if it were about anything other than acting responsibly, to help control the spread of this dangerous and contagious virus. Our country NEEDS to re-open. But ignorant attitudes like that are certainly holding us back. Sorry GRJ, but I didn't bring it up.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"No idea what you mean exactly"
I mean, having Valteri Bottas and Lewis Hamilton in #1 and #2 positions on the starting grid for the Austrian Grand Prix is
giving me just the slightest feeling that things are returning to normal! Having Mercedes beating out the over-financed Ferrari team just feels right!

Not trying to confuse anyone, but I think that F1 FINALLY returning to the track is a good thing. Many other racing venues are also starting up.
I realize that we are not all race fans, so only some might appreciate this Union Station post!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Oh, I don't watch TV so I thought it was about something else. (Which isn't to say I don't love it and know every jingle and theme song below a certain time period. I just tried it for reclamation of free time and it worked... So I've I stuck with it. Like about 11 years or so. Oddly I still know what happened on game of thrones for example.)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I don't think that fact that car racing may be coming back is, in any conceivable measure, a test of whether things are, or, have returned to normal. People not contacting or dying from the virus would be a better signal of normal being achieved.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I had heard they were starting to go racing again in Austria, but I wasn’t expecting to see F1 practice on my DVR when I turned on the TV the other day. Pleasant surprise. Nice to see they are running again.

Very strange to see no one in the stands and everyone but the drivers (who are wearing helmets) masked up. I found it interesting that the “low budget” teams had standard masks, but the big bucks teams had masks that matched team colors.

I wouldn't say that things are back to normal, but it IS a good sign that people have figured out how to cope with the virus and prevent its spread. But as you pointed out, there are still too many pin heads that still have not figured it out.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Speaking of Crazy...here in Wisconsin the State Health issued a warning about traveling outside the State for the 4th Weekend...of course being in a popular tourist area...they forgot to mention ALL the out of Stater's who have flocked to NE Wisconsin to forget about the Pandemic in Iowa, Minnesota, Florida, Michigan and above all Illinois....Fortress Kitchen at Husby's Food & Spirits masks, gloves, sanitizers and a ton of bleach......I won't even let the Waitstaff in the Kitchen to avoid exposure...to quote James Donald from "The Bridge on the River Kwai"..."Madness,... Madness...Madness"

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Bob, that's all I was trying to say. But people can have different conceptions...😄

·
Registered
462 Posts
I probably should not say a word.....
However I must ask you all.
How do we go back to normal ?
The mask??
A vaccine??
Eliminate the virus??

All great ideas , but has that worked on the flu??
What about any single strain virus??
I don’t think it has!!
I am sorry , but a mask that can’t stop dust from getting up my nose while I sand bondo is not stopping a virus that is much smaller!

A vaccine could help... it does with some things like mumps , and what not...
but they are not the same type of virus.
A vaccine will give most peace of mind, but not stop it completely. Again look at the flu. You need a vaccine every year, and that vaccine was for the last flu virus, not the next one that is working down the line! Any Dr will tell you that.

So how do we eliminate a virus that is not going away??

How do we get back to normal???

If it was not for all the political BS that is this virus, it would of just been another round like the flu!

The last statement is my own opinion, the rest you all can take it for what it is.

To the original post. It is nice to see racing starting!
I just wish we could of not stop everything for what is out of our control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How do we go back to normal ?
The mask??
A vaccine??
Eliminate the virus??
#1 Yes. N95 masks are the most effective at stopping virus size particles. Those are what we use going to work from my house.
Kind of obvious that an imperfect barrier is better than NO barrier, especially now that we are suspecting a stronger capability of airborne aerosol transmission.
#2 Yes. MAYBE we will see this before the end of the year. Many people are working to develop vaccines.
#3 Yes. Only possible using all of the above plus an effective antidote or curative. But a virus is more difficult to "eliminate"
than bacteria like smallpox or malaria. Polio is a virus now virtually eliminated but I think we still take vaccinations.
#4 Vigilance. Everyone agree to try to be a part of the solution, instead of being a part of the problem.
#5 Education. It hasn't been very effective to date. And a successful vaccine will drag up a new host of anti-vaxxers.
Some things, as you know, you just can't fix.
In My Opinion.

·
Registered
8,748 Posts
Well, only a little... Having Bottas and Hamilton as #1 and #2 on the grid is making me feel better... :ROFLMAO: (y)
Just knowing that racing in general is ON is a good sign IMO.
Yes, back to the same old same old same old. I wish somebody besides Mercedes or Ferrari would step up and seriously shake up F1.

Still Lewis Hamilton is a hero to me, so I'm okay with Mercedes and he yet again being a Champion, which I figure is almost a lock this year . . . I know Bottas and LeClerc are good, but Ferrari is still dysfunctional I think, and Bottas is good, but Hamilton has all that experience, which ought to count when things are weird, as they are now . . .

Regardless, its great that they are racing again, even if it really isn't that normal yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts