Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called for a backdrop for my small Z scale layout. I was told the small 11" by 8.5 foot long backdrop was really scrap or low def junk. He said I would have to buy 3 or 1 at the same price to use all the paper. Which was 120.00 dollars for either. He said the HD stuff came in 11" by 6 foot, which I could make do, but you had to buy 1 at the price of 3 or just take 3 of them to use all the paper at the higher price. Anyone know another way to get or buy a backdrop at a reasonable price. I thought from the info on the page I could get one for 40 dollars.
Maybe someone is selling one of the three you got stuck with to recoup some money. Thanks Ron

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Backdrop types

I called for a backdrop for my small Z scale layout. I was told the small 11" by 8.5 foot long backdrop was really scrap or low def junk. He said I would have to buy 3 or 1 at the same price to use all the paper. Which was 120.00 dollars for either. He said the HD stuff came in 11" by 6 foot, which I could make do, but you had to buy 1 at the price of 3 or just take 3 of them to use all the paper at the higher price. Anyone know another way to get or buy a backdrop at a reasonable price. I thought from the info on the page I could get one for 40 dollars.
Maybe someone is selling one of the three you got stuck with to recoup some money. Thanks Ron
darticus;

There are many types of backdrops. It sounds like you are planing to buy a pre-printed, commercial, backdrop. That's one common, though often high-priced, way to go. If you are going to spend that kind of money, you might want to check the cost of a photo mural backdrop. They are especially effective if you are modeling a specific real location. i.e. a photo of a section of Chicago for a layout set in that city.
I prefer to paint my own, since they can be anything you want, and are cheap. The backdrop in the trestle scene below is only my second attempt at painting one. It's hardly a work of art, since I have no artistic talent whatever! However, it's still quite effective at making a 10" deep scene look like it goes on for miles. A recent trend in paint it yourself backdrops is even simpler. A sky blue painted piece of Masonite with a few sponge painted basic clouds. It also depends on what you want depicted on the backdrop. If it's to be a city scene, then sky & clouds may not be what you're after.

good luck with whatever you choose;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

Garrison Creek trestle dark.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
darticus;

There are many types of backdrops. It sounds like you are planing to buy a pre-printed, commercial, backdrop. That's one common, though often high-priced, way to go. If you are going to spend that kind of money, you might want to check the cost of a photo mural backdrop. They are especially effective if you are modeling a specific real location. i.e. a photo of a section of Chicago for a layout set in that city.
I prefer to paint my own, since they can be anything you want, and are cheap. The backdrop in the trestle scene below is only my second attempt at painting one. It's hardly a work of art, since I have no artistic talent whatever! However, it's still quite effective at making a 10" deep scene look like it goes on for miles. A recent trend in paint it yourself backdrops is even simpler. A sky blue painted piece of Masonite with a few sponge painted basic clouds. It also depends on what you want depicted on the backdrop. If it's to be a city scene, then sky & clouds may not be what you're after.

good luck with whatever you choose;

View attachment 372978
Looks great but I don't think thats something I can do. I will think about getting someone to help. Thanks Ron

·
Registered
9,787 Posts
Many companies out there will make backdrops in whatever scale you desire, using either their stock photos or ones you provide. More customization means higher price.

Try googling "model railroad backdrop".

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many companies out there will make backdrops in whatever scale you desire, using either their stock photos or ones you provide. More customization means higher price.

Try googling "model railroad backdrop".
I did order a cheaper one from the person in Australia. Its only 9 inches high and 10 feet long. Its for my Z scale so maybe this is ok. Many make a 80 inch long pic but I really needed 96 inches so 10 feet is a lot extra. That PAINTING ABOVE is great. A little talent there but don't tell him, he might get a swell head. Thanks all Ron

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Swelled head

I did order a cheaper one from the person in Australia. Its only 9 inches high and 10 feet long. Its for my Z scale so maybe this is ok. Many make a 80 inch long pic but I really needed 96 inches so 10 feet is a lot extra. That PAINTING ABOVE is great. A little talent there but don't tell him, he might get a swell head. Thanks all Ron
darticus;

I'm afraid you're too late on the "swelled head" thing. I already wear a size-9 hat. :D And yes, my ego is swelled too.:laugh:
I'm glad you like my painting, though I think "great" is quite an exaggeration! My younger daughter is the artist in my family, not her dad, he just paid for her school! :eek: She has sold some illustrations and wants to illustrate children's books.
If you want to see what actual art looks like, click on this link, and then click on the word; "portfolio" at the bottom left. www.erinbellinghamillustration.com (Her talent helps keep my head swelled, with fatherly pride! :eek: )

However, the point of my response is that no one needs ANY artistic talent to paint an effective backdrop. Anyone can do it. The "sky & clouds" type I mentioned is about as "artistic" as painting a wall in your house, and wiping off spots with a sponge. Because that's exactly what one does to make that type of backdrop. Absolutely NO "art" involved.
I learned everything I needed to paint the "mountains & forest" backdrop, in my post above, by just TRYING. You can too, if you're willing to give it a try. Another benefit of making your own, besides low cost, is that you can make it any size you need.
Commercial backdrops are OK too. They just cost more, and may only come in sizes that aren't what you need.

Good luck with whatever backdrop you chose. and post a photo after it's on your layout.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts