Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming back to the hobby after a number of years. When my son was a boy, we spent many happy hours building HO layouts. Now, I want to get back into the action with N scale.

Here's my question or thought. I'm thinking of a small N scale layout, something around 2'x3' or a bit larger. My idea is to use a background divider picture of a sky and clouds but to mount this backdrop in the middle of the layout along the diagonal running from corner to corner. I'm looking at a twice around with some spurs. The idea is to have contrasting scenery on each side of the backdrop divider, maybe summer/winter or mountain/desert or city/farmland, etc.

Probably someone has tried this before. How did it work out?

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
A fairly common technique, and an excellent idea to make a small layout look bigger.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen anything like that offered commercially. It's a DIY project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More reason to try this but I have Googled my eyes bloody and have yet to see an example.
Having said that, I took another shot at it and found quite a bit of info using the terms "scenic divider" or "scenic separator".

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
Having said that, I took another shot at it and found quite a bit of info using the terms "scenic divider" or "scenic separator".
I was gonna say....

Model Railroader had an entire feature on just such a layout a couple years back. It was created by Pele Soeborg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts