Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my past experience with track has been N scale Atlas track and cork roadbed. I find myself in unfamiliar territory. Just completed a KATO Unitrack layout in HO. I have decided to ballast, just not sure what size Woodland scenic size to use. My first guess would be medium, but perhaps on the Kato unitrack fine might be better. Also looking for a decent spreader that might give me the means to lay less center spread. Will use good old Elmers glue on the roadbed sides for ballast adhesion. Wet water and Scenic Cement have worked for me in the past to complete the job. Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Kato’s web-site shows track ballast for their track.....fine, grey to match the track base, $9.00 per bag....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen Kato ballast, and I'm not a fan. Just trying to find out what others have used, and if they were pleased with their choice.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I use WS fine gray. I think the medium is too coarse. In HO scale, it's about the size of a basketball... way too big. Even fine is actually overscale, but it looks right.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think the medium is too coarse. In HO scale, it's about the size of a basketball... way too big.
I would beg to differ with that notion. I have a bottle of medium gray blend sitting here, and even the largest pieces are somewhere between the size of the head and foot of the rail. I'd call it about half the size of a basketball? Most of the pieces are the size of the rail head or smaller, so maybe baseball size? Yeah it's over scale, but not quite THAT over scale. :)

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
That was a slight exaggeration for effect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you your replies. I looked at old pictures of my N track. I used Fine there and it was a little big. Then took a look at real track picture taken near Needles, CA. After comparing pictures and considering the replies, going to try WS Fine. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
If "fine" looked too big on the N scale track, it should look better on HO scale track, no?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts